What do I need to start up legally?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by C & T Landscaping, Dec 9, 2010.

1. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on going full blast next season. I will want to be a sole-proprietorship business and be legal. My question is what do I need to do to become legal? I know I need to register my company name with the state, set up a bank account, but I want more information on what I have to do.

Thanks in advance!:cool2:

2. bigpappaab

bigpappaab LawnSite Member

Google starting a business. There is lots of info out there. Business.gov has a ton of good info and links. Besides registering with the state, you need to license your business with the city or county that you are working in. If you are a sole proprietor, then it is relatively simple. You dont have to file for a tax id with the state and federal government.

3. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are not doing Landscaping,Irrigation or Hardscapes I am not sure what license you have to have to just mow. It all depends on your state regulations.

4. bigpappaab

bigpappaab LawnSite Member

All businesses must have a license to do business, period.

5. gasracer

I know you don't need a Contractors license to mow but I do understand the general business license part.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Some states call them an occupational license. They are all just really a tax certificate. It allows the government to know you exist and at least gives you some measure of credibility. Business liability insurance would be your next logical step.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. fireman1317

fireman1317 LawnSite Member

Your statement is wrong when it comes to Indiana. You just register your business name with the state when you set up your LLC, Inc, etc. After that all you have to do is contact the IRS to get a tax ID number. We don't have any requirements of registering with your local municipality.

To the OP, check your states web site and see if there is a section for the Secretary of State. You might find all your answers there.

8. gasracer

Check your local codes if you are going to run your business out of your home.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

On this note, this is the quickest way to an irs audit if you try to claim a home office deduction. You have to have a dedicated room that you regularly see customers in to claim this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

My advice is to not ask legal questions of the guys on Lawnsite. If they know anything, it is probably limited to their own state. Go see a professional: e.g.
    accountant, attorney, county auditor, or some local business resource such as the Chamber of Commerce.