what do i pay my help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by texpro, Jul 23, 2007.

1. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

i live near houston texas the ave. costomer pays about 120 per month so for i a one man operation but i cant keep up any more too much for me alone what should i pay my help and do i pay by the hr or per yard or a flat daily rate
  2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

im solo as well but i think most people will say hourly. some days are longer than others and some days you may not have any work due to rain, etc. if you pay by the job they may try to get through them as fast as possible not worrying about quality
  3. DPAT

DPAT LawnSite Member

This is how I look at that is if i pay you hourly you will take your time, but if i pay you a % or by yard you will work harder and faster

just my 2 cents
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I pay my help by the yard. This seems to motivate them to work longer and faster. I don't think they sacrifice quality as much as it cuts down on doing other things slow such as loading/unloading, breaking, and just plain having a pep in their step. They sometimes complain about the price such as $5 bucks a yard but when we average 2 yards an hour I explain where else will you make $10 an hour for doing only a 1/4 of the work? The thing to remember is NO ONE will work as hard and fast and care as much as you do because it is NOT their company.
  5. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

i pay my helper by the hour
  6. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

what do you pay per hr
  7. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

$10hr , lunch break if we take any paid
  8. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

You plan on just hiring someone or are you gonna actually have workmans comp on him and all that good stuff?

That should all be a factor for you. Best worker Ive had so far I only pay minimum wage and cant believe it....I pay for his lunch every day too but still.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Where "near Houston" are you....

I'm in Bellville,
  10. Leisure Time Lawn Care

Leisure Time Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I pay by the hour and buy lunch when we take one