What do I plant along the fence?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jc50292, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jc50292

jc50292 LawnSite Member

I clean and maintain offices for a doctor. I also responsible for the mowing and landscaping. One of our offices has approximately 200 yards of fenceline that the doctor wants some sort of visual barrier up along it. What can I plant that will be low maintenance or no maintenance. I've thought about bamboo but I've never fooled with it before. Can any of you give me some direction on this? Thank you ahead of time.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Never do Bamboo... bad bad idea!

What does he want? Woody plants or some sort of climbing vine on the fence itself?

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe "heavenly bamboo" Nandina domestica but not the real stuff. Nandinas get 6' or so and are little or no maintenance slow growers will take 6+ years to reach 6' -turn red when it gets cold. Other choices

Oleanders, hedge quarterly,

Photinia, probably hedge quarterly in your area.

Probably lots more that I don't know about because I'm in Phx.

How about Camellias?

Purple leaf plum trees-narrow and tall, little or no maintenance.

Surely their is a ton more.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What about larger hisbiscious plants?

5. jc50292

jc50292 LawnSite Member

He just wants something we can plant out there and not have to maintain. The plum trees you mentioned...do they really produce plums? As for whether or not he wants something woody, well, he'd prefer something nice to look at over something not nice, that's all he's told me.

6. jc50292

jc50292 LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, and we can't have it growing on the fence, it's not ours.

7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

if i were you i would get some books on plants. i know barnes and knobles has a great book called 'perfect plant for the perfect place' or something like that. it really breaks in down as to where plants can go. and landscape plants of the southeast is a good one as well.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what about some large arboviate. I don't know how they grow down there though

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh OK... so how about some evergreens? They would give him what he wants year around. I'm in no way familiar with your zone, but how about some Leylands? Other members of the pine family? Hollies?

Just remember to consider the full adult size the plants will eventually mature to. This will eliminate the most common mistake in plant selection.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Purple leaf plums rarely produce fruit and if so are few and far between. Grown for the dark purple foliage. The Hibiscus are probably a good call too but will require more maintenance than the plums or nandinas, all are freestanding no need to attach to a fence. Arborvitae are also good if you have lots of space those things get 20+ feet across the bottom, and don't plant if homeless are a problem they make nice homes in the summer.