What do I pull a 36 inch aerator with?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RCA, Jul 12, 2006.

1. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at buying a 36 inch Bluebird pull behind aerator. It seems to be the perfect size for residential aeration because it should be able to fit through any gate. So what type of machine out there is 36 inches wide that can pull a commercial aerator? I've got a Lazer HP 44 inch mower but I don't want to use it to pull with as I've heard it's hard on the hydros. Bluebird recommends at least 16 hp to pull this aerator.
    Got any suggestions?
    RCA

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Garden tractor or lawn tractor...the former is best...

3. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I just don't see many 36 inch, 16+hp lawn or garden tractors out there. Can anybody suggest a brand or model?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

ATV's are how its usually done I believe.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Well you buy a tractor without the deck...My GT is exactly 36.5" running AG tires...

6. bearmersch

bearmersch LawnSite Member

ATV, Take a look at the Polaris ATP 500. It has 4x4, 2x4 and TURF mode which unlocks the rear diff axle for tighter turning and dosent tear up the lawn. Plus it has a dump box on the back for hauling tools etc. I love mine. Plus you can put a plow on it too for winter.

7. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

bearmersch,
    I agree with needing an atv. Without the turf mode you will tear up the lawn. I own an '05 ATP 500 and use it to tow the bluebird aerator with the water jugs. It does an excellent job--fast, fun, efficient and good $$$. We also haul mulch, pull shrubs out, and use it as a 20 mph wheelbarrow on many landscape jobs.

8. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need a 36" tractor to pull a 36" aerator? One of the larger lawn tractors with 20 plus HP engines will work great. There are many brands.

9. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

To me it only makes sense to want a 36" tractor to pull a 36" aerator. I would think that it would allow me to fit into the tightest of areas. Why pull a 36" aerator with a 48" tractor? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a small, manuverable aerator?