What do I use on big bushes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Feb 16, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I was triming some high holly bushes? approx 20 feet tall.
    I used a medal 16 ft. ladder and a stihl hedge trimer. I leaned the ladder against the bush and was able to trim it.
    It was dangerous. It wasn't worth the danger for a bush. What is the best way to trim these bushes? I thought about getting a Stihl pole hedge trimmer but I don't need it for the little I would use it. Tell me what you think.

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You pretty much answered your own question. Another way is to get a fruit picking ladder that has three legs. The one leg can actually be placed into the bush while trimming.
    [​IMG]

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-16-2001 at 11:51 PM]

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

The pole trimmer work well for me i also have a folding 3ft scafold to reach a little higher and once you buy a pole trimmer you'll find many uses for it.

4. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

the x-tended reach stihls are the ticket, if you have an fs-80,fs-85, or fs-83 get the hlk75k with the articulating head on the short boom, you can put that head on one of the three weedeaters listed above for x-tra reach.

5. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

back in 1969 the gov. used jet packs and hand shears to trim the bushes on the moon
    2001 "bush"haha would agree

6. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

7. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Is the best thing to do is just not take the job?

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS-85 with a hedge trimmer on the end instead of a string trimmer. It was almost $500, but now I can do those tall bushes without moving a ladder every 30 seconds. AND, I have a nice backup trimmer.

9. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I use a big chain saw to cut them down to my level. I do not like ladders and trimmers that much.

10. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

maybe a joke bout cutting down those high bushes but, i would rather trim a high bush and be able to charge that high price every 45 days or so in the growing season ,cause just as heard here most people don't want to do them..........and because of that you can make great CHEEZE in a short time...ya'll just keep turning them down Someone (like me)will be right behind you to take care of it......... thats why i am the BUSHMASTER..he he..IT dosent matter to me 20ft-40ft+ thats why they rent manlifts..chi-ching....Bring it on.$$$$$$$

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 02-17-2001 at 11:10 PM]