what do most charge to put out a bag of mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Toxey, Mar 9, 2009.

1. brink2012

brink2012 LawnSite Member

$4-5 a bag is reasonable I think

2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

one milllllllion dollars!!

3. Holleys Landscaping

Holleys Landscaping LawnSite Member

Why would you use bags when you're averaging 40 some dollars sq yd. I can get mulch in bulk for 16 dollars. Your profit would be a lot higher. But, I can understand if the job wont even take a yard, but if its more than a yard, buy it in bulk.

4. Toxey

Toxey LawnSite Member

Thank you sandman. :clapping:

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have never priced intall per bag as i thnk we wouldnever get the jobs!!!!! folks are quite frugal here when it comes to landscape maintenance. we price our 2 cu bags at 4 buck per when early ordered and 4.95 after specialorder. thisis hardwood and dyed hardwood . cypress does not decay here and is a very poor choice for mulch. it forms like a mat that is impervious to water and basically is counterproductive!

we time how long we think the job will take and add that into the measrured number of estmated bags(by the square ft). is this uncommon ???

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

grassman: I was one of the first to respond in this thread so I want to clarify one point. We do 90% of our mulching from bags and I do my estimating using the figures I cited earlier per bag. However, I quote to customers per job or, if they ask, per cubic yard. I agree with you--- if we quoted $7 or $8 a bag installed, we probably would scare them away.

7. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

what a timely thread ........ i generally do mulch by bulk, but i just got job that will require bags ( do to the terrain and numerous small plants). its interesting because the way i come up with the price for the bags is completely different than mulch in bulk... $ 4 to $8 labor per bag

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

For all you mathematicians just remember 1yd = 9 bags of mulch.

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

For all of you mathematicians, remember some mulch (like hardwood fines) comes in 2 cu ft bags. So 1 yd = about 13 bags

10. Trader Rick

Trader Rick LawnSite Member

Keep it simple - 2.5 times your cost on the product. You will be competitive, and still make $$$. Bagged mulch installs very fast so labor should not be a big issue with only 40 bags.