What Do Reccomend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davink, Mar 20, 2008.

1. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

hi all,

I wanted to ask some advice. I know I will get a variety of answers, so I am just asking for YOUR particular reason for your answer.

I have been in business for a while, and started out using old trimmers that I had. An old Poulin that I think came from a Walmart, and an old Roybi that I picked up at the local dump. I put a new spark plug in it and fired up. All I have done to these items is replace string. Now I am looking to buy new.

I have a dealer less than two miles from me that deals in Sthil, Shinandowa, and Husky equipt. A few miles away is a place that deals with Echo. I am torn about what manufacurer to go with and what items to start with. But would like to stay with one of these since they are local for service. Have had Items serviced at both in the past (plows and mowers) and had good experiences although the closer seems more in line with approprate prices. Hence I am probably not as interested in Echo unless someone changes my mind.

Like I said I have been in business a little more than a year, have some decent accounts, but basically work part time. I have no problem expanding, and am always looking for work , but I do not plan to EVER be one of the 90 hour a week guys. Do this for extra money to help the wife an I get by, and beacuse I enjoy the work. But if we cut some corners we can live on her salary alone. Therefore I have some cash to put into this, but do not want to spend a fortune at once.

Any opinions would be appriciated, reasons why you prefer the items you use, or other coments. I am also interested in hearing from people that use the powerheads with interchangeable components, and how you like them, longevity etc. I do not know a heck of a lot of the technical stuff about them, though I am very mechanical and like to do things myself.

I look forward to repsonces Thanks to all!!:waving::waving:

2. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Can't go wrong with an Echo. Only question is: Home Depot or your local mower dealer.

Get a Edit too.... imoo.

3. Ooomwizard

from atlanta

Can't go wrong with an Echo. Only question is: Home Depot or your local mower dealer.

Get a Edgit too.... imoo.

4. Ooomwizard

from atlanta

weird internet crap

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Can't go wrong with Stihl, only question is professional equipment dealer or professional equipment dealer? I have found Stihl equipment to be the best bang for the buck, I love every piece I buy. I'm hoping this year I'll be able to add to my Stihl fleet with the purchase a BG85 hand held blower and an HS81T hedge trimmer.

I won't ever touch anything Echo again, I had an Echo PB650 that was a PITA. I got rid of it in favor of a Stihl BR600 and I don't ever look back.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had to choose, Shindaiwa. Ive used Stihl, hated them. Echo is ok. Husky...HE double hockey sticks no. Ive never used a crappier piece of equipment..(well, except ryobi....lol)

7. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

If cost is an issue go with Echo, if not go with Sthil. The Echo is well balanced and light. Your dealer should be at the same price point as Home Depot.

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I run all Echo handhelds. I love them. But Stihl and Shindaiwa are good too. Just go with whichever dealer you prefer, because all 3 of the manufacturers mentioned here make great equipment.

9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think those two are comparable blowers, Not sure but I think Echo has two models higher and the 600 is stihls top of the line.

Also it depends on what machines you are wanting, Between stihl and echo, one make better items in one line and the other has different item lines that are better.

10. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a dealer by you check out Maruyama! 5yr commercial warranty!