What do the big dogs think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnproslawncare, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So I made a spreadsheet of startup costs and what I want/need to make.
    Let me know what you guys think.
    Also, I think this will be a great tool for anyone starting a lawn care business.
    Granted its in PDF but it should help you layout a spreadsheet on excel.
    Good luck everyone starting out.

Attached Files:

2. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

That looks pretty good, and it should help you track costs.

Do you already have a known average per account?
    If not, $40/account for an average sounds pretty high for a first year biz. People that have been in longer can charge more for experience. Charging less is not lowballing, it's charging less for less experience.

Good luck.

3. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

Edit the trailer cost. It won't be 1200 per month. Just a one time fee.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think those figures are a bit optimistic...?

Try a bit of a worse case scenario, like say an income of 2,000 a month.
    Might also look into something more like a 1990-94 3/4 ton, get one of them for 2-3 thousand and pay cash for it.

I mean you can try that newer stuff, I won't argue about older stuff holding you back, it will.
    But you may well have no income for the first year, and I don't mean a big fat 0 but I mean first years can be that rough,
    at least for me it was. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm hoping to give you a realistic view so you don't mess yourself up.

But at least you got it down to the right stuff and you have a plan, that's a big, big plus.

5. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this is just a budget sheet basically that will let me know if i have this many contracts signed i will make X amount of dollars at end of year. I'm not sure on the tax stuff.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a good plan...pretty realistic. I always figure marketing costs in also. I spend an average of maybe between $25 and $50 per week on advertising, website, signs, etc. There are also office costs like toner, paper, envelopes, stamps, phones, and so on. It never ends.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Break down and buy Quickbooks Pro if your seriously going to stay in this business for any length of time.

8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Something is wrong with the spreadsheet. Besides the full cost of the trailer mentioned earlier, you have costs for a 12 month period but income for 8 months. Also, your mowing projections are too high. You won't be able to mow for 8 months, not in Wisconsin. Finally, to make it clearer you should show the costs in each column and then subtract them all in the last column.

9. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

$9000 for a 48" mower seems a bit expensive to me. Theres alot of ztr and hydro walkbehinds that you can get in the 5-7000 dollar range.

10. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

One thing to check also is the monthly payment on the truck and equipment. If you have 0% on all then it is accurate. For example if you had a $11,500 loan at 0% your payment would be $191.67. At 6% it is 222.33. I know it is not a huge monthly difference but adds up over the years.