1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do the large companies use ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious if like Brickman uses all one brand of equipment and some other large landscape co's or do they use what they can get...the largest company locally here uses all exmark mower and all echo 2-cycle. I have brickman in my area just never looked to see what they run.
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you can be brand loyal.

Reason for that is this:

Parts swapping and stocking replacement/service parts is much easier. Knowledge when working on the equipment should be a little better because you only have to learn one type of machine.
    Dealer loyality probobly brings benefits too, figuring your buying from the same dealer everytime.

There are a lot of reasons, but those are just a few of the reasons that would be important to me.
  3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

One of the big companies in my market uses only 1 brand of mower. They have an in house dealership set up so they buy wholesale, do their own warranty work, and can stock parts at wholesale.. Saves alot of upfront ivestment and alot of downtime.
  4. Bunton Guy

There is a large Co. here that does around 10-12mil. in maint & landscape and they use anything they can get there hands on and run the equipment into the ground. I have seen them out there with trimmers that had safety wire holding this and that on there ect..... So I couldnt beleive they are attempting to put out quality work with half azzed equipment. But I do see how using only 1 brand of mowers and 1 brand of 2-cycle ect...can help with swaping parts and knowledge.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

TGCL landcare here uses all cabovers, eXmarks, and Stihl equipment.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

TGCL uses Hustler 260k riders scag hydro wbs, giant vac blowers and exmark 21's or murrays haha and redmax trimmers stikl blowers and bobcat skid steers.
    Another large company uses only scag but alot of 1-2 crew companies run either all toro or toro wbs and exmark Z. Stihl is the local fav for blowers tho and now billygoat wb blowers are popular.

Should i mention one dealer carries stihl scag toro billygoat husky and bluebird.
  7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Largish company here in Houston uses all SCAG mowers and Echo 2-cycle, and Ford F-350. They have around 20 crews, so yeah, they have lots of brand loyalty! :blob3:
  8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

O yeah TGCL all uses F450 PSD!!!
  9. Bunton Guy

Brickman around here uses F-450 stake body pulling a 28+foot enclosed trailer....both truck & trailer are 2 tone poop brown and I think I saw them with all exmark and stihl.
  10. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

There is one company here in Little Rock that has about 10 crews and all use Shindaiwa 2-cycle. I have never seen any of their employees holding anything else. But they have a mixture of ztr's and wb equipment, I have seen so many Kubota and Walkers with them its unbelievable. The bad part is that they also own a Toro dealership! That has to cut down on sales!

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts