1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do u do with old equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, May 1, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lot of equipment and I pritty much run it into the ground. Im a good mechanic so I patch, weld and repair it till it eventually becomes cheaper to replace it. Then it goes to the "equipment Graveyard" located behind the pole barn where I am often found sifting thru the pile for a cable or pull start or shaft or, well u get the idea. It helps to be brand loyal of coarse. I have many Scag mowers, Shin trimmers & blowers (cant stand Echo any more after their carbs went south) Snapper push mowers, ect.
    What do u do with your old stuff? sell it before it gets too old or run it till it cant run no more. Then what?
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I try to replace things before they start to deteriorate. While I think I'm pretty handy and can fix most things.. I'd rather not spend my time repairing them. I like having fresh & dependable equipment.
  3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Sell 'em at yard sales. Get a few bucks.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Lawn Scapes-DIDO! why wait until they are junk? Unless financialy you can't swing it. Trading them in might only get you a small % towards your new purchase but it's better than nothing. :waving:

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

its easier to sell them while they still have some life so you aren't stuck with them.

Personally, i enjoy looking at a junk yard of retired equipment. (i guess its just the redneck in me lol ) As long as its away from the house area. I have a spot in the woods where many things sit. I'm always picking things off my old stuff. :waving:
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Trying to trade every 3-5 years. I have a few pieces of junk sitting around from when i was a turd in the hay stack. I have found since I started buying commercial equipt I can hit the 5 year mark before thinking of throwing much into a machine. (handheld excluded. I use them till they fit in the scrap pile at the metal yard. )
    mowers always last 3-5 years if you take care of them. even if you get 1000-2000 hrs a year on them.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you stay with a brand like Echo the trimmers have not changed much in many years so you can use old trimmers for parts. Those gear boxes at the end run around $100 so it is nice to go to the scap box when you need one. Since you repair stuff the cost of parts is very very high so old units are good to keep. By the way Echo got their carb problems improved with an adjustment back on them.
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

then sell them for scrap i find my self buying alot of mowers form farmers and people that like to pile junk in there yard . Most of the time i get it for free and sell it but sometimes people want something for it . give them a 50 and make 250 off it there happy I'm happy every body is happy
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

eBay and at the dealer we sell them. :)