what do u think caused this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Mar 29, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

a customers yard has a big dip into it. I'm not sure what caused it. Any ideas? Also can i just fill it with top soil and seed it?

dsc00045.jpg

2. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

this is just part of it near the driveway but the section is about about a 8 ft circle. dip in the yard.

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

How many years old is the home? A lot of times when a home gets about 10 years old, you'll see this if the builders buried the lumber they cut down. As the lumber decomposes it creates a sinkhole. Actually happened to my own yard and took 14 yards of dirt to fill it in. That was 5 years ago. So far so good.

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible their sewer collapsed.

5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I would have to agree with ******. Probably just a sinkhole.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer with a sinkhole near a sidewalk. Every year I fill it, every year it sinks in. Not sure what's causing it, could be anything.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

My guess is a old stump that was there when the house was built, the part underground finally rotted enough to cause a sinkhole. You will probably have to fill it in a few times, just fill and pack a little bit and repeat as needed until it fully settles.

8. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

Jeff o

After I read all of reply's, I had to think you were in MD.
    I would almost bet it's a sinkhole. Around Frederick county,
    there is alot of limestone. and w/ all the droughts, then all the precip we've had the last 1-1/2 years, the ground is shifting alot.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

It could be a sewer ditch settling , it could be a old hand dug well collapsing , it could be a drainfield , an old oil tank, etc

10. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Maybe there are bodies under there?