What do u think is the hardest part of this business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Feb 24, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill tell u what I think the hardest part for me is. Going from too much time on my hands :sleeping: (Now) to not near enough time on my hands (a month from now) :help:

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Finding quality promotable employees 24 months 12 different employees and not one that is worth the air he breaths. My signal biggest failure and I know better too if your working with crap that’s all you will get out of it you can not make someone in to more then they can be. So I get to hire 4 new employees in about 1 month and hopefully I find a real prize this time I think I am over due.

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

For me its the fact that the equipment needs to be bought over and over again, things just wear out too darn fast....... 2nd is the seasonal nature of the biz, I love it when the last fall clean up is done but the winter is just too doggone long......

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

#1 for my company is AR's...too many and too long outstanding. Period

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Your right there Rod I am still waiting on about 6 k around 20 accounts I figure the renewals I just sent out will get the point across and shame them In to paying their bills.

Bobby’s payment system would be nice but his repeat business after that is very poor. He has not been at this that long and in a post a month or so back he stated he has around 50 accounts yet has worked for over 400 I don’t want to even think of that turn over

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Paperwork....... I'd rather be mowing than sitting at a desk sifting through a pile of papers.

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya Rod and Kelly, People dont seem to want to pay-up in the monthes they dont need to reli on ya

8. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

How much are you guys still owed from last year. I have it down to $500, which I might have to hand collect from them, pita customer in over their heads. Chasing people down for $ does suck.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I gather that Rod, Kelly and Geo spread the billing over 12 months for your customers. Can you calculate what percentage of your year's gross receipts are outstanding?

I had a customer or two who dragged their feet, one very seriously so. I ended up knocking on their door one night after they managed to ignore the phone call. It's quite effective when someone shows up like that, although I have to admit I wondered what I'd do if they answered with a gun in hand. Run like hell?