what do u think of this idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

one of the subdivisions that i mow in has very small lots. the biggest lot in the sub is no bigger then 1/4 an acer. i have 3 houses that i mow in their right now and it seems i'm picking up new house in their every week. but the problem i'm haveing is the yards are so small and most are very uneven and i'm haveing a hard time keeping them looking good with my ztr. so in order to get them to look good it takes me about 45min to cut them each. so i was thinking would it benifit me to buy a 21in walk behind to do these properties it would probly only take me about 45min to an hour to mow these yards with a 21in. what do u think. by the way i'm getting $17 a pice to mow these lawns. what do u think
    don't mind my spelling
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

$17 per hour does not qualify as a boatload of money.

You either need to raise your price and give better service or keep the service and the price the same. Do you really want to spend more money and work harder so that you can take home the same amount?

I service properties with a 21" mower and get an average of $30 per property.

Hope this helps.
  3. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

$17 an hour is way too low... i have a 36" walkbehind i use for small lots like that, maybe you should look into one.
  4. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Are you kidding me? $17 for an hour lawn? Set down your edger, back away slowly then run like heck for the sake of the industry!! Please!
    20K worth of equipment and cutting for $17..... :help:
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i am cutting for $17 and yes i am for real but there are so many little kids cutting the negibors lawns in their i had to cut my prices normaly for thouse size lots i get 25

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try a 34 inch simplicity and or ferris,
  7. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

From your profile it seems like you are one of the little kids cutting the neighbors lawn.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The tip I left for dinner tonight for myself and my g/f was more than 17 bucks...that should tell ya something.
  9. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Why arn't you using the 36" Proline that you have listed?
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use 36" units on these size lawn...Scag hydro with floating deck but pricey. But you can't go wrong with 21" there is always a need for this size mower. We are in a market with your same competition conditions so I understand the low charge. Hard to make any money unless you got customers. More an more customers are dumping guys with the big riding units in our market. Bad cuts and divits from tires and fear that unit will damage house, car, AC, etc. etc.