What do ya think of this design

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

ok now that I am awake . First let me say I am not bashing I am trying to help. You have 15 feet. you need to come in from the side a min. of 3 feet. You have 3 main plants that dont work in the small spot. the Juniper I am guessing it will be a spartan. will grow a Min. of 6" a year. they tend to grow fast when they are in a topiary to fill in its normal shape. I trim Topiary shrubs two times a year here where I live and you can get close to 12 " of new growth a year. second nandia is a moderat growing plant. the growth stamp will say 4 to 5'. that on is from the center of the plant. I have some I planted and its from the center. so thats a 10' plant. the loropetalum, well you can get a cutting or a seed or a root growth plant. only one will be a true dwarf. and you will not know until it starts to take off. some times they just revert to a normal one. So instead of me finishing my little golden book. let me simply say. you dont have the room. no mater how good it will look fresh, in time it will need pulled. and I guess that would be in 5 years if that. some day when you fine a place for this design it will work. Just out of curiosity do you have a horticulture degree or a landscape design degree? :) so i have , 6' sides , 10' lor, 10' nan and a trimmed 5' wide juniper =31' with trimming you hurt the look you want with a topiary next to the other plants. and if its shady it will look that much more open. the look you want next to topiary should be a full formal shape. there is now zin here. smiles.:) remember not bashing trying to help. you asked.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate your input. As a matter of fact I do have a landscape degree and I know exactly how these plants grow over here. I wasn't going for a "no maint" planting. Maybe my plant theme is a bit off but the client likes tropical and formal plants. Not sure if you could suggest southern plants that would go better in this spot since your in In. but if you have a better suggestion let's here it..

3. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

No thanks, sounds like your a fire craker and don't like other input but yours. Don't ask if you can't take it. You might want to read up on junipers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Looks a little too crowded. I agree less would be more.

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

BC you have a degree, that makes me like it less. Way to crowded.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. wildstarblazer

okay I got it, no one likes it. I'll adjust it. Thanks

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks quite cluttered. Especially when the liriope will end up filling the bed. Sometimes less is more. Especially in a tight space like this.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

What program?

9. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

What program is this? Easy to use? I have all macs and im looking for something that is user friendly and does the job of helping to sell jobs.

10. wildstarblazer

Realtime landscape architect very easy to use. Not sure about mac but probably will work.