What do ya think of this design

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The before picture looked OK for such a tight spot against the house... I would prune the 'tall' pieces that I had there already or , IF I threw them out, I would not replace with another tall piece at all...

What really would set off that area with a little height would be large white clay pots with color in the plantings...

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You are speaking of the prostrate variety, not the upright variety. It is relatively easy to grow the right variety of nandina in a 3 foot deep area. The more important question is where is the light coming from as this may make nandina an unsuitable choice.

Wildstar .... if you weren't taught what a hydrozone is, then you might want to look at getting your money back. Your design gives zero consideration towards proper hydrozoning.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i like the original photo. just take out the bushy shrubs in the middle of each and replace with something. keep the shrubs on the ends and just trim them up nice.

i'm not a fan of bushy looking plants or shrubs. just my opinion.

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Wouldn't the shrub selections fit into the moderate zone and the liriope into a low zone?

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Holy cow why is everyone giving me such a hard time with this design. It was just an idea. Gees. You all don't know the customers and their taste. Even award winning designers have some not so great ideas.

Hydrozoning? Those plants all have the same water/light requirements and are all drought tolerant. I know which plants can be grouped together in my area.

I already conceded that the design was not so good. so unless someone has better plants an ideas for this than I'm done with this thread.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Just because a plant is rated "drought tolerant" or low to medium does not mean it shares the same water requirements as other "drought tolerant" plants nor that it is appropriate to use them together in the same hydrozone. Plant water requirement is only the first item you need to consider here. The second item, and arguably the more important one with respect to irrigation, is plant rooting depth. I see three different rooting depths for the plants you have chosen, with the Liriope being the most shallow and therefore dictating the irrigation schedule. This will inevitably lead to improper irrigation for the rest of your chosen plants.

7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Your design looks worse than the original. It is too busy, too crowded, and uses too many mismatched colors next to each other in a small space.

8. mlc13

mlc13 LawnSite Member

I need some suggestions on some fast growing trees or tall bushes for wind break and privacy in a customers backyard.