1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do yall recomend for a 15 year old?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mch181, May 13, 2006.

1. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

hey guys im not new here but i joined awhile and stopped coming to this site lol
    im back but anyways i wanted to know how to get customers and stuff
    like what to say etc
    i am pretty good at the actual mowing meaning i dont scalp or miss very often
    and where i live its extremely hilly so what would be the next step up from a 21" craftsman? i want a cub cadet tractor but idk some lawns itll work some it wont. also my dealer has the snapper 32inch mower (the one hydro with electric pto for $2000) and he said he recomends it
    the price isnt bad and i know the guy qiute well there nad im tryin to get a job (sent in a resemy, already enough people for now)

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

With the hills, I would look at a dual Hydro w/b.
  3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i would make sure that some one else is with you if you decide to buy that wb mower, i dont think that he can sell it to you at the age of 15??? but i would really concider a wb, insted of a rider, i think until you can get alot of work for it, it will just sit around and you will still have to use your 21 crapsman... look into getting a hydo wb with a sulky, its going to be alot more then 2k so if i were you i would take my time a look around for a good used one to start off with, then as you see yourself grow, get a new one or get that rider you wanted.. godd luck to you !!!
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check out E-Bay. I'm amazed at the apparently great deals about two thousand miles away from my location:laugh: Might be something close to your area though with just a little driving.
  5. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just a newbie so feel free to take my advice lightly.
    If you are not paying income tax on every dime you make including personal property taxes on all of your equipment or licensed with the city or county, insured, bonded you really to get that done before trying to grow. You never know when another jealous lco is going to stalk and report you.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ya know what i might do if i could begin again. i would work for a landscaping company for a year, but you already have clients sooooo...

i would say go to a few dealers nearby and see if they have any good used commercial mowers, or see if they can work within your price range. something that you could get brand new and most would consider it commercial, is the simplicity Pacer walk behind. it is about $2200 with a 34" width and is a hydro. i demoed one last year and it was a mean machine, cut anything without bogging down.
  7. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would look for a new or used 36" W/B for your first.
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy the walkbehind before a rider for sure, the wb has more maneuverability, and can go more places. cant pull, but thats not what wb mowers are for anyway. you can either choose to save your money and buy new, or buy a decent used machine in good shape and use it to earn more money, to buy the new one and have the used one for a backup. (ALWAYS a good idea to have backup machines) its up to you, but I'd buy the used one, save my money, then buy the new one later, keeping the old one for a spare in case your new one breaks.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you from my own experience, I bought two very used 52" Toro Wb's for a thousand each (so $2,000). Even as used and worn out as they were, those machines still outperformed and outran even the newest riders, and if they didn't outrun them, they at least kept up neck to neck.

A year later, I bought a third used Toro, also for a grand. This one was by far the best and two years later (my 4th year), I bought a brand-new one of the same make and model as my third one, 3000 dollars.

Had I not had the sense to have operated used mowers first, I would've had so much more trouble with the new one. Dealers do NOT set these machines up so they run right... They set them up, but they're not the ones cutting grass. Furthermore, with a used mower you learn to walk before you run, and this has saved me hundreds if not thousands in repairs on a brand-new mower that, since I had the experience, has never been sent into a ditch to this day.

With Toro's T-bar control, you don't need a hydro.
    All my machines always have been, and still are gear-driven belt babes.
    Toro rules.
    All else is an imitation, flattering and charming, but still not Toro.
  10. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member