What do y'all think of dethatching attachments for walk-behinds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CPLLTT, Jan 13, 2002.

CPLLTT LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

We have lawns that are needing to be dethatched, but we can not justify buying or renting a vertical mower. Have any of you used those universal dethatching blades that bolt to rotary mowers? They look just like a mower blade with a spring at each end that scrapes the surface of the soil. I have used these on my own lawn for years with good success but not sure about using it on my clients' lawns. What do you think?
  2. So your going to half azz do the job.

BTW a Power rake is around $1000 and is tax deductable!!!!
  3. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked for a golf couse the owners yard needed to be thatched bad well they had every piece of equipment you could think of except for a thatcher they had a thatcher for greens ,but that wouldnt work. Me and another guy got stuck with this 2 day job we had to use an old toro with those springs. It didnt bring thatch up for anything, we had to gone over that lawn 4 times in every direction. I think we ended up using 5 sets of those springs before it was done. My advice is rent a thatcher, you will regret it when your on the job wasting your time!!
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

5. AustinJ

AustinJ LawnSite Member

There's been some pretty heated discussions about dethatching on here in the past, I beleive. I think the consensus was that the JRCO dethatcher didn't actually do much to cure a real thatch problem, but that it worked fine as a lawn rake for picking up debris and leaves imbedded in the lawn after a winter. I don't remember what was said about those springy-blades for the rotary mowers... Might try a search, though.

CPLLTT LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Your answers coincided with my feelings on the rake. I will check out the JRC rake, it should be better than nothing.