What do you all charge for pruning hedges, small trees, and such?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dcplace2004, Jun 27, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a pruner in town and they are doing quite well...I know this cause I make most of my money on these types of jobs...how do you all determine how to charge for the bid?...I tried out their redmax hedge trimmers and they are wonderful!...springs for AV and Quiet, Quiet!...I want one or two...one of them was the 2400 I think...they had a light one also, but I don't remember the model #...thanks...

2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $10 per bush for residential, $12 per for commercial. I have Echo HS150's (i think?).

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I want my bushes to look like a swan for $10! Be here tuesday or you're fired!

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

well if we are pick pruning or hand pruning it gets to be quite expensive. about 80 an hour. But just to use hedge clippers its 60 an hour plus disposal. No to many ppl know how to pick prune and around here no one wants to do it I will cause I charge for it and I am very good at it. Over the years I have become really comfortable with it. I think it is very hard to teach and learn hand pruning.

5. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

okay i'm stupid...but what it pick pruning?? ;) ;)

and when you say hand pruning do you mean the old fashioned way with manual clippers?? :dizzy:

6. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I believe what he means is selective pruning by hand. By 'picking' what branches and such you are going to remove, you keep a more natural look to the bush, instead of turning it into a box or a globe. I do this at times on request, and it can be very time consuming.

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks Jason. Not every plant can be sheared with hedge clippers! Pruning requires some skill shaping (using hedge clippers) requires practice. Shaping could be either type depending on what you are working on.

8. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys...didn't realize that's what it was called. Yes we have some we pick as well, I don't like it but do charge accordingly.

My partner really enjoys it, he's sicko, says it's more self rewarding. He can do some damage (good) in short time. I understand his point but I still don't like to do it, try to leave it for him while I run the h trimmer. He's actually pretty dang good at it.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Drew, you and I would get along just fine. I hand prune almost every shrub/bush also. Hedge trimmers were made to trim HEDGES, not bushes and shrubs. :drinkup:

10. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

While i dont do many, I also use the hand pruner for most jobs. I cant understand using the monster hedge trimmer for some of the bushes i got that are barely up to my knees. Much easier to shape and faster (imo) to hand prune on the small ones