What do you all do in the Winter time for work?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Landmarklawncare, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Landmarklawncare

Landmarklawncare LawnSite Member

We are in Missouri, and are mow part time this year. We are going to be mowing full time next year, and are excited about it. Everyone that we tell that to instantly says, "Oh I wouldn't want to mow, it's just seasonal work." We really don't have a plan yet as to what my husband is going to do through the winter. It will be his brother and him mowing during the summer. They both grew up mowing with their Dad as he had a lawn mowing business, so they do know what they are doing. Right now we own a cabinet shop and mow, but plan on closing down the cabinet shop.

So my question is, what do you all do through the winter for work? Do you make enough through the summer to get you by, or do you do snow removal, or go get a job? Here in Missouri I would hate to trust snow removal as a winter job! You never know how much snow we will get, or if it will just be ice. Ideas please!!

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Welcome to LS.C....this has been talked about a lot....if you just do a search, you will find all you need. If you have a question, search it first, trust me I am sure we have already talked about it. But there are a lot of things, winter landscaping, leaf blowing, lawn treatments if licensed.....Me personally, We wont be doing anything from Jan--Mid.Feb....I have all my accounts contracted thru the week of xmas. In this business, you have to play squirrel in the beginning of the year and stash as many nuts away as you can before having spending binges....I know exactly how much I am going to need per month to make sure all the bills get paid, and how much I am going to need for all misc. things. Anything after that is consider play money....Good luck!

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You said your husbands father had a lawn mowing business. What did he do during the winter? I bet he has some good ideas. As for myself, I'm not sure what I am going to do. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the answers weren't helpful.

4. Landmarklawncare

Landmarklawncare LawnSite Member

My husbands Father works like crazy all the time, and always worked a full time job and mowed in the evenings and weekends...

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

meesa hybernate :sleeping:

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

plow plow plow!!!

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year before the snow finally flew, I cut and sold lots of firewood, then I started going to several local auctions and stocked up on lots of neat crap nobody really needs, then sold it on E-bay. Made quite a hefty profit, especially on hand tools, but wouldn't want to do it all the time. Just something to fill in some money for bills. It was my first year, and I didn't dare go a day without making some kind of money.

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I generally do cleanups and hardscapes in the winter. If it's really cold, I'll do interior painting and other odd jobs. If I'm really feeling ambitious, I'll get a seasonal job somewhere part-time just so I have something to do.

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I have yet to take a winter off as there is really good money still to be made during those months.
    In late Oct thru mid Dec its fast paced Christmas Lighting Installations, any gaps in the schedule are filled in with leaf cleanups.

Dec thru Feb we offer residential snow removal and clients are billed a flat monthly fee wheather it snows or not.
    First of Jan xmas lights start coming down.

Jan and Feb we start doing tree and shrub work and early March thru mid April we start aerating and fertilizations.
    We also do alot of odds and ends such as sprinkler system winterizations, gutter cleanouts, bulb planting, lawn logos, etc.

There are lots of small odds and ends one could do to help generate additional income after the mowing season ends, i've heard of people delivering fire wood, selling xmas trees, pickup and disposal of xmas trees and the list goes on.

10. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I plow snow, and focus more on tree removals. Oh ya I also play playstation alot.