What do you all think of this bid?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dunn's, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone well we bid a job for removing 200 square feet ofraised garden bed. Ok so here it goes we went to an estimate for removal of a garden bed, but when we get there it is more like a mound of dirt with stuff growing out of it. Our costs would be $175 to rent a small Bobcat or Dingo for twenty four hours we figured the total job time would be about 6-7 hours. This time includes picking up bobcat,removal of bed, dumping dirt and travel time. We will be sending to employee's myself and and our lead crew member. We both will be getting 12-14 dollars an hour depending on how long it takes. At $12 or labor cost is $12 x 14 hours 168.00 at $14 x 12 hours = 168.00 So basically the employee will make the same amount still if he gets done faster and we might add a bonus but we never tell them that ahead of time. so $168 + $175 = $343 Plus gas lunch and all the other aspects of the business We have Bid $875.00 What do you guys think Reasonable, to high, or to low? All replies are welcome but remember before you answer we are a insured,business licensed,LimitedLiabiltyCorporation,claim all Are jobs for tax purposes even if payed in cash. So to the ones who do everything under the table reply if you must, But we are really looking for oppinions of the real companys,like MM,PM,SHE,Older and all the other legal outfits and yes single operators oppinions are appreciated as well as long as your are legal and have the expenses that go along with that.SORRY SO LONG Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Dunn's

I also forgot it is about three feet high at the peah maybe higher an here is a pic.

IMG_0037.JPG

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

how bad is the dirt pile i cant really see get a brush cutter in there adn tear all the out but a skid loader it there is a mound will level it and clear and what are the dimensions. youre going to have a lot more to remove then you think so figure that in i think your price is fine maby bump it up $200 or$300 more for removal and extra time and youll be fine and dont buy your guys lunch either theyll expect it all the time

4. jdshamong

jdshamong LawnSite Member

your company will make $62.50 a hour not bad for a easy day of work

5. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Your just removing it?? If your just removing it, why not sub it out to someone with a tractor that can do it in an hour or so, pay them the XXX an hour (I charge $100/hr plus $50 trailering fee, which 0 people complain about) and take the extra as profit, sit there and watch him do his work...just a thought from what I gathered of what you were saying.
    James

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

is that trailering fee a removal of the debris or to transport the tractor

7. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Transport the tractor, removal of the debris is even more$$, prob. another $100, but depends on the amount/distance to dispose.
    James

8. Dunn's

That is a good Idea but if I subbed it our they would charge me atleast a $100.00 an hour so if I charged my customer $100.00 an hour then I would make zero profit and pay the guy to dump it. Then I would lose money and since there are not many reputable companies in the area I would be taking a chance with our name. If they destroyed something and also could be sued for their damages since I subbed it out. Thanks for the idea, but no thanks in that case I would just refer them to someone but if they really wanted they could sue for that.

9. Dunn's

sorry I thought I put that in it is three feet high or maybe a little more at its peak. It is around 150 square feet of raised bed then another 50 feet of unraised bed. The dimensions are 15 x 15 feet then cut a third of in a crescent shaped that is how we came up with 150 sqyare feet.

10. GDK

GDK LawnSite Member

I'm new, yet here is how I see it. Are you asking because the customer feels the bid is too high? Given that you are going to profit over 40% for the job, I guess my question would be, how bad do you want it?
    Is it a risky job, or pretty simple to get done? Do you have other more profitable jobs going on? Is this taking too much of your time, and causing you to lose business elsewhere? Are you going to gain business and customers by doing this job for a more reasonable price? What margins do you usually collect?
    Personally, I think your price is reasonable, especially if you are hauling off the dirt. It doesn't appear that you put that price in there. If you feel in your heart it is not a fair price, put it down to $750, do it with a smile, and tell them to tell there friend and neighbors about your company. Just a thought, hope it helps you.- GDK