What do you all use for a service truck?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 30, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer trucks with utility beds to hold all of my equipment/parts and a pipe rack.

We have 3 trucks in our fleet, two fullsize 3/4 ton trucks and a S-10. The S-10 needs to go because its too small to tow most of our equipment.

What all do you use?

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

That S-10 may be your most profitable vehicle!!
    I like utility bodies until I have to fuel them up. When I was down in DFW, I was driving an ISUZU Pup for the company. 15' pipe rack and sub floor over the wheel wells. Locking tool box behind the cab. The area under the sub floor was divded so that a bulb crate fit down the middle w/ two smaller areas at each wheel well. Scrap pipe went on one side and tools on the other. I had three bulb crates down the middle. Farthest back had valves, middle one had flo-spans, and the last one was the BS box for the day that I cleaned out "eventually" (i.e. when it was to full and I had too :) ) The sub floor was racked w/ bulb crates that had wood dividers in them for pvc parts. The lock box had valve repair kits, brass and copper stuff. I trucked all over DFW in that rig and it worked as good or better than a utility body ever has, and it got great gas mileage. I'm driving an '83 Ranger now, but I haven't racked it out yet, I'm just working out of bins in the back. This works here because I don't have to have the inventory I did in DFW. The majority of what I see is residential modern installs. The install truck is a 20' aluminum step body. It is parked right now and being used more for storage. At 4-5 mpg, it just isn't going anywhere. But, if I need to tow something it works, and it locks and stores everything very well.

3. RRH

RRH LawnSite Member

Would be interested in comments to this thread.Currently have a Toyota pick up for repairs and a full size Chevy for install and pulling ditch witch 410 sx.Getting tired of transferring parts all the time.Wondering if any one uses full size vans with v-8 for doing repairs and pulling pullers
    Thanks
    Rick H.

4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I like my 95 Ford E-350 with the PSD has the ext cargo body to fit what you need in it and with the diesel it has the power to pull whatever machine you may have or need.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

used to use an s-10 with a work cap.
    now have a hd2500 with a service body.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

International low pro for installs and service , astro van for service , ford f 350 dualy for service , ramcharger for estimates and pulling equip , 62 vette for estimates , toyota truck for servive . Most service is run from astro van due to great mileage . The rest of the trucks double duty as plow trucks

7. bicmudpuppy

Now that's showing up in style. I've got a '76 TR6 project in the garage. I traded some drip for it and gave it to my eleven year old for his 8th birthday. The plan is to have it cherry by the time he can get a restricted. I've still got almost 3 years :)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You know why the british never made TV's right?

They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Enjoy your Triumph...I'm jealous.

9. bicmudpuppy

LOL, and do ya know why they still drink warm beer.........

Yep, Lucas made refrigerators too. Thing has an original Lucas Alternator and we've got the parts, I just haven't replaced it. I think this one is going to be like every other job we do. Wait til we are down to the wire and then burn midnight oil to get r done :)

would you believe the drip traded was a 500' roll of tube and a handfull of fittings and we drove it the 12-13 miles home :cool2:

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay guys... I'm stuck with a big Dodge Cummins diesel, but this truck has to be used for grounds maintenance, irrigation, or whatever. I'm always having to take toolboxes off, putting them on, hooking up the trailer, taking it off... It gets old, but when you wear so many hats can you really afford so many trucks??? I'd think that keeping all of your vehicles insured and registered must put you in the poor house, Mdirrigation.