What do you charge for 1 Acre Fertilizing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jccordes2, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

What are the best ways to charge customers for fertilizing?
    for first application, I.E crabgrass preventer/ weed control.
    I know what our bottom line is and what we need to make. but just looking for advice from the Pro's here.
    what percent do you mark up the products its self?
    cost per hour?

thanks in advance for any good methods!!

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Don't ask WANT to Charge. ASK yourself what does it COST to the job including Direct and Indirect cost.

If you know your costs and add a profit you will be sucessful on every bid. Now sure you will be low balled and not get all jobs. But the sucess is the fact you didn't lose money on that job.
  3. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

I am just looking for a round about figure? what would you charge the customer?
    of course there's hills, trees, an etc. but about a total of 1 acre of fertilizable grass.
  4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

How much does all your stuff cost you for that one acre? Include insurance vehicles etc... How long will it take you to do it??? ?Add how much you charge per hour. How much do you need to make to turn a profit multiply that by a percentage... 10%,15% 20% 25% 40% 50%..... Then you have what you want to bid.

Hope that helps..

5. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, I think what Ric is saying is that you need to first find out what your cost is going to be. That should be easy enough. After that, follow the advice that he and Mike have given you ... prices are going to vary pretty wildly across the country. And this is, after all, an international forum. So what I would charge may hurt you, etc.
  6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Well said, you may not have gotten the answer you expected Jeff but these guys know what they are talking about.
  7. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

150 to 175 will turn a profit
  8. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

To answer his question:

This totally depends on your market and your business aspect, these figures are from the area we serve.

Per acre fertilizing w/weed control (dry) 90-125 pa
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Figure out the cost per sq. ft. then you figure profit, add the two together and you can develop a sq. ft. price you can use for lawn care sales, discount a little bit on the larger accts. if you want to stay competitive.