what do you charge for a bobcat/operator

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by swing blade, Jul 26, 2003.

1. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

I am sure that this has been asked before, but when i searched, i was not finding exactly what i was looking for. Probably just using the wrong keywords. Anyway. I am looking at buying a Bobcat 763 and some attachments, combo bucket, auger, forks. Alsoi have been looking at a Dingo or Bobcats MT 50 with same attachments. I wanted to know what you would charge a customer for the machine plus operator for the hour, what is your minimum time you will bill them for, and also what you pay your operator per hour. I know the operator is based on expierience, but I am wanting to see how much the company makes off the machine after i deduct labor, fuel and so on. if you can give both the bobcat 763 and dingo rates it would be greatly appreciated.

Swing blade

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Look at it this way.

What would it cost to rent for a day?

What would have charged a customer for a laborer/operator?

3. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

well the 763 rents for $150 a day from a rental yard. As for an operator/laborer, I am not sure. The dingo or MT 50 rent for $120 a day. I am thinking a 3 hour minimum for any work involving the machines. What would i pay an operator????

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

$ 65 per hour seems to be the going rate in my neck of the woods.

5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I get 450.00 a day for a skid steer. I've been doing alot of backhoe work lately and get 550.00 a day for that. When dealing with machines (backhoes, skid steers, dozers, excavators ect...) you can't charge an hourly rate, I only charge by the day. The reason is you may spend 5 hours acually working on a job but it also takes time to load the machine, fuel it, grease it and transport it. If the job only takes 4 hrs or takes 9 hours to get done, either way it's the only job you gonna have time to do that day so you need to be paid for the whole day.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Swing Blade

Your rentals are very well priced. Much higher where I am.

I go 40 - $60 per hour. Billed full day. As mentioned above.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

do not buy rent and charge it to the customer if u buy u have to store it insure it and pay 4 it. if u rent u can bash it break it and dump it off at the end of the day no unfor seen cost or storage
    as for opperator rates i get 35hr

8. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

PJ Binder - I hope you're joking, because my local rental yard just raised all their rental rates 12%. Too many people bringing back equipment that's been beat up and abused. This really blows for those of us that can't afford to purchase equipment. The first time you rent a machine and it breaks down (from abuse) and puts you hours behind schedule you'll understand. Not to mention I now have to pass on the 12% to my customers or eat it.

Sorry for the rant and dragging this off topic, but this is a real source of aggravation for me. I've unloaded equipment and had to turn around and load it back up and return it because it ran like garbage or was broken and wouldn't work. I've lost plenty of time and money because of this and it would probably make me sick if I knew exactly how much:mad:

To get back on topic, I shoot for $50 an hour with $250 minimum when I bid locally. 30 miles away I can get $65 when things are really busy, but schedule 8-10 hours work to make it worth the drive. If I had to hire an operator, I'd probably pay them $15-$23 per hour depending on ability and experience.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i hear what u are saying however where i live i have a very good rental yard they are kinda new and have at least 5 other local competitors. they have two mechanics on at all time if something brakes it is usually fixed in half an hour or they bring out another machine. my point is i own lots of equipment and am selling it all because i can rent cheaper than own and there is no storage charge on rented stuff or insurance every month.
    i have rented things in the past and it has broke in minutes but that is the luck of the draw. all part of doing business. but if the rental company is only renting junk find a new one. i charge a 250 rental charge plus 35hr operator charge and a transport fee 50 if more that 5 miles other backhoe operator's are getting 250 half day 500 all day man and machine. but all day to him is 8 hrs. travel time included and he never gets out of the machine.

10. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

I wish I was in your position with lots of rental yards around, but we only have one in our small town. There are at least half a dozen other yards, but unfortunately they're at least 45 miles away. I'm actually hoping that with the additional 12% they're bringing in that they can do better maintenance or replace some of their older equipment. Maybe in the long run I'll be paying more for rentals, but make it up in less down time and more efficient equipment. Maybe not, but I can hope!