What do you charge for augering holes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I got hooked up with a small fence and deck contractor last month. He is going to sub all of his hole augering out to me for now on.

I am just wondering what other guys are charging per hole? and or what size bit is required for the jobs.

He is having me auger out 50 9" holes tommorow morning for a fence he is putting up. I only have the 12", 18" and 30" bits for now so I am having to rent the 9" bit for $24.10 for 24 hours. I told him last week that I would do the job for $350.00 which includes me renting the 9" bit. Now this should be good quick money for a total of 1 to 2 hours worth of work at the most, especially when I will be getting $6.50 per hole before expenses.

I am trying to figure out a decent way to price out these jobs. I told him last month that the minimum charge would be about $125 or $150 to go and plug 6 or 9 holes for a deck that would require 12" or 18" bits.

Any advise from other guys that do this type of sub work would be great on how you go about pricing your augering jobs out would be great.

Thanks

Justin

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Whenever we do that kind of work, I give an hourly rate for the machine with an operator and I use a four hour minimum. From your standpoint, the problem with a flat rate is the difficulty of the dig is unknown. If you're in solid rock and you have a set price then that's great for him, but it sucks for you. You could do a flat rate with a rock clause, but that can be problematic because it's subjective.

For me, definitely hourly rate with a minimum.

3. Gilla Gorilla

I see where you are coming from there with the rock clause.

I did try out that small bit behind my shop this afternoon and did hit about 4"-6" of compacted rock and old asphualt but it still only took at most 1 minute to go down 4 feet deep with my Dingo and that was one deep azz hole when I looked down it.

This guy is pretty cool when it comes to hitting solid rock. He says that if the auger cannot get through it then a footer or fence post surely will not move on it either.

4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I've heard $20.00 per hole. But that was a couple few hours from here.

5. Gilla Gorilla

Ha I would love to be able to bill out 20 bucks per hole but for some reason I dont think I would get much work if any for that price. Okay sir I am done digging your holes you requested, the total will be $1000.00 and pay up now. LOL

6. Staffordnurseries

Staffordnurseries LawnSite Member

When I investigated both this type of business and other types of excavating I was very put off by the dollar amount of the insurance. Are you doing this fully insured? Im not lecturing on the merits of insurance, perhaps I just havent found the right rates or right company

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Charged $10 a hole for the last 5-6 yrs now. I don't do that many and I know the area I'm going to work in, very seldom do I have any troubles with rocks. BTW the $10 a hole was for 9" up to 18" they all took about the same amount of time. Also that price was if the skid was on site or real close. I would not haul it unless I was getting a min.
    The advise about the ins. is good, make sure you have under ground coverage.

8. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

Last monday we went to a customers house to drill and set 69 4*4 fence posts. On monday we only drilled 25 holes and set 7. We broke 8 sheer pins and had to dig 4 by hand. The next morning when I met the boss at the site, he said he was going to rent a mini excavator from the dealer who is trying to sell him one. The price was 40/hr. it took us most of the day to finish the one side, 28 posts. For the last two hours we marked out the other side and thought we'd try the auger. Out of the 30 holes on that side we only had to use the mini on 3. The back 11 posts all were augured in. He charged $14 a hole and only put 2 hours on the mini. After my wages and the mini rental he still made over $500. Add in the $150 dollars for the 90 ft of hedges I pulled out with the tractor in 45 mins and the used 100ft of 5ft chain-link fence he sold the guy for $100 and it wasn't a bad 4 days.