1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge for Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by desert rose gardening, Dec 23, 2004.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what some of you charge for a applcation of Summer fertilizer 16-6-8 Thats what we use in my part of the country. I mean straight Fertilizer no trimec no pre-emergent no fungicide no insecticide just simply fertilizer I have been charging the same price as mowing and making about 75% profit. Thanks for your input.
  2. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

depends on square footage but ballpark of $5 per 1000 with a price break as you get around 10,000 and up.
  3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

So you would fertilize a 1000 sf lawn for $5.00? I don't think so.
  4. My prices start at $25 for a 4,000 sq/ft, and go up $4.00 for each 1,000 sq/ft after that. I do discount for larger lawns, but I don't have a formula for that. It depends on the shape, size and how difficult the large lawn will be to treat.
  5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

The competition must be fierce for you all to price your apps. so low. A quality (albeit dry) fertilizer should cost you $1.50 to $2.00 1000/sq. ft., given you apply about 1#N each time and want quality like I said. If you sell an app. for $4.00 you are only making about $8.00 to $10.00 gross net for a 4000 sq. ft. lawn. If it takes you 20 mins. to spread, blow the hard surfaces, put the spreader away etc., you are "making" about $30.00 an hour over raw material costs. Now figure your realistic overhead (ususally a lot higher than we think) and wear and tear and disposal fees for the bags...etc., etc., you probably are not returning more than $20.00 per hour to your business at these rates...if that. Can you make a living at those prices or are you fertilizing when you mow or doing something else? Curious, Neal
  6. grassworks

That's why I said it depends on the sq.footage. It was a vague question to start with so I was just trying to give a ballpark idea . Actually I have no 1,000 sq.ft lawns, nor have I ever . I assumed everyone had a minimum and felt no need to spell that out.
  7. grassworks

Too explain my post.. Yes ,The competition is fierce but I think the original post(the way I read it) was asking about a staight app of 16-6-8 for a basic mowing stop . I would rarely offer this service unless following a seeding job or something else done at the same time. I don't offer 1 time only fertilizer applications but try to sell a program as many probably do. Here are my numbers for this particular post...

1 50 lb bag of 16-6-8 costs $10.55 (andersons product) for lawn of 8,000 sq.ft (average for my area) will provide a lb of N per 1,000 and take me 10 min (most) to spread. At $5 per 1,000 you should add $29.45(40 app cost-10.55 fert cost)to your bottom line for that 10-15 mins.

Of course you may not drive out there for a special trip and arrive anywhere near these numbers. That is a whole different price :waving:
  8. You are correct, I operate in a very competitive area. In fact my prices include weed control. I went over to www.smartpages.com and typed in "Lawn Fertilizing" and my city and 179 matches where found.

There are plenty of companies that will do quality work for less then I charge. There are also a few companies that work "under the table" that charge even less.

But I don't like to whine about it. I still draw plenty of work, and I have a 85% retention rate, plus I can concentrate my customers in a relatively small area, and that helps with productivity.

I also have a lot of lawns under 2,000 sq/ft, and they pay the full $25.00 each stop. The margin on those accounts is great.

On the other hand, there are plenty of suppliers for the LCO's also, so I can shop around for the best price and then make Lesco match it.

I don't mow or do anything else, all I do is fert and turf pest control.

Neal, if you have more questions feel free to send me a PM.