1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge for mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bligh61, Apr 26, 2012.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

How much to you charge up your mulch and how much to install? I buy it for 30 yd and charge 50 delivered, and charge 75 a yard installed on top of that.
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a lot of work?
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You can't say that. Who knows his process, cost of living, etc....

Who's to also say someone shouldn't be making money at the prices they set. As long as the customer is happy, then that's all that matters.

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge about $50/yd for installation plus the consumer's price for the bulk mulch rounded up. If they would pay $24 per yard, I would charge $75 to buy and install it. I get a 10% discount on material.
  5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know where you are on LI but $30 per yard is some expensive mulch in my book. Im paying 15 for natural and 18 for dyed. For natural, I charge $60 a yard for material, deliver and installation and I charge $65 for dyed. Edging and weeding are priced separately. If the mulch has to be wheeled a long distance from the truck, the price goes up. Thats about the standard pricing by me, some guys are lower but dont do a good job. Any higher and I wouldnt get much mulch work.

When I just deliver locally, I charge $25 per yard for natural and $30 for dyed. If the delivery is less than 5 yards I tack on an extra $20.
  6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

mulch is 18-20/yd here we generally get 50/yd installed
  7. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

Geeze you guys are getting stuff cheap! Mulch around here is anywhere between $35-40 per yard up here in Ma.

I usually pay for it myself, get the contractors discount then charge the regular price for each yard. As far as taking care of myself, things usually end up being around double the cost of each yard.

So pretty much, I charge $40 per yard of mulch that I purchase, then I charge $40 per yard to spread. With two wheel barrels, my worker and I can spread 18yards of mulch in around 6-7hrs (this does not include bed prep time).

I might be selling my services a bit too cheap!
  8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

I sell mulch for $25 a yard install for $30 a yard. I dont know how guys can charge $60- 80 per yard labor only. It's brainless work. And 1 guy can easily spread 4-5 yards an hr.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Different areas demand more or less money for services. In CT we charge 55-65 per yard for labor. No one complains and we do a few hundred yards of mulch a year.
  10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I think the $60 figure includes the mulch, at least around here it does, your only charging $5/yd for installing you can come work for me.