what do you charge for straight labor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jun 9, 2009.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just manual labor. no running of machines. another question, what do you charge to lay down mulch per bag? i've always bought mulch in bulk but i have a customer who already has the mulch in bags. thanks for the input.

2. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $40/hr for labor. Everything else is extra including machinery and costs.

3. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

More than gay labor.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Really? There's at least two of them working at the same time, so wouldn't that be more?

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

$45 per hour

6. flames46

flames46 LawnSite Member

good one:laugh:

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

60 per hour is the minimum.

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what do you charge for gay labor then?

9. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the client and the job, $40-50 per hour.

10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

the value of your time doesn't change depending on what you're doing. your "costs" do but not the value of your time.

Charge the same rate as you would doing anything else.

As many of you are "not legit" and don't pay income taxes or FICA even on yourself much less any "help" you may have you have no clue of the real cost of doing business.

Many guys think this is cool and that they're somehow scammng the system or getting over.... wait until retirement age comes around and you find out your social security is next to nothing because you didn't pay anything or much in.... most people have no ideas that the monthly income you'll draw on SS is based upon your contributions and those of your employer (matching).

For example, say you charge 50 bucks an hour and actually are able to "bill" 6 hours in a day. That's $300. income tax and FICA withholding would be approx $105.00 as being self employed you have to pay the whole 15% FICA not just half and I'm estimating the income tax at 20%. Now if you have state income tax.... add that too.

So now, best case you have $195.00. You spent $20-25 on gas = $175 your truck insurance was about $3 a day (non commercial) =$172... now you've got wear and tear on your equipment (a ZTR is about 5 bucks an hour and figure a buck an hour on each of the handhelds) so saw there's another $40 = $132. Still doesn't sound too bad right? Now add in depreciation (you'll eventually have to replace all that equipment) advertising, postage, cell phone, truck and trailer tags....You actually "made" about $100 IF you're legit.

IF you're not it will catch up to you. The gov't will catch you or someone will get pissed at you and turn you in or you'll go about your merry way and suddenly you're disabled or need to retire and find out your destitute and living on the street.

So if you're netting $600 a week and you can work 40wks a year.... wow man that's a whopping 24K a year.

That's exactly why I have never told a customer how much my "hourly rate" is. I quote a "job" not a time.