What do you charge just to pickup leaves??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by srl28, Aug 1, 2007.

1. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys charge just to pickup/vacuum leaves that the homeowner or LCO without a vacuum brings to curb or driveway?? I would like to offer this service to homeowners and lcos without vacs and trucks this fall and then again in the spring but I'm unsure of what to charge just for pickup. Disposal is cheap if not free and we've got it down to a one man operation. What would you charge?? Thanks

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

$37.50 per man hour, usally 2 men

3. srl28

Thanks- anybody else? To those who do this, How do you market or advertise to the landscape and lawn care guys in your area to pickup their leaves and what
    not?

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought... "Full Lawn Service also offers Fall Cleanup" Place the ad in your newspaper in the classifieds.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The hourly rate all depends what you got for equipment and how long it takes, but the job in and of itself costs by how much work there is... You plan on loading the stuff with rakes and tarps or you have a vacuum system makes a difference in the hourly rate, but in the end the price the customer pays ought to be the same dollar amount.

Not sure how to explain it, but if it's $75 worth of leaves then it ought to cost 75 whether it takes you 4 hours with rake + tarp or if it takes you 30 minutes with the leaf sucker system, it still ought to cost the same $75.

Lady around here does this stuff charges $75 for 15 minutes but she's been doing this for many years and she's got it down, my parents hire her for their yard and if it costs them $180 I am telling you it is worth it, it would cost them 400-600 to have me do it (thou that would include the actual cleanup). Thus her prices are in line, roughly, she's got one of them covered loader trucks with a vacuum system runs on a gas engine, I think she gets one full load of leaves in just under 20 minutes and my parent's yard takes 2 loads, just as a guide.

Don't forget each load has to be dumped, she's got a dump bed but it still has to be driven to-from at a rate of 8-10 mpg's it easily still takes 2 hours / load so at her rates, despite the appearance of it making you super rich, it doesn't.
    No because I can look at her equipment and tell she's working for it, just be aware of that.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I really hesitate to "just pick up the leaves". I have a 17hp BillyGoat truck loader so we can do the job, but so many of these fools put all kinds of crap in the piles. Had one guy call an said his kids had the leaves raked into the road ditch. All I had to do was suck them up. The ditch was 3' deep and the leaves on the bottom were from at least last season. I took the top 2 feet and left the rest for the next fool. Another had small limbs (3"-5" he had pruned and stuck in there. You got to watch out.

Normally we charge $50/man hour if we're mowing, bagging, blowing or using the BillyGoat. That usually includes our dump fee. We're lucky and have a farm we can dump at.

7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

srl28,
    Curious, what kind of machine do you have, hp etc.? :weightlifter:

8. srl28

One lesco 16hp leaf loader and a giant vac 2? hp trailered leaf vac, both either blow the leaves into my freightliner landscape dump or a pickup with box, but most times we just use the lesco on the rear end of the freightliner as we can get it in tigheter spots and its a bit easier.

9. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

what do you guys pay to dump your leaves?

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good set-up. I've had a couple of truck loaders in the past, including one with a 4 cylinder liquid cooled gas engine I bought from the county gov. I think it would have sucked up a cinder block if you wanted it too. Good Luck w/the leaves. If you can post some pics of the operation.