What do you charge per block on a retaining wall?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cards1, Feb 21, 2008.

1. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

Just curious to see how the price varies and how you guys calculate the price per block.
    I've only built 3 walls so far and i've used Versalock Square footers which are 8"x18"x12". At this point i've not yet charged by the block but by the man hours put into it. I've made out pretty well but now i'm getting multiple calls on estimates and i don't want to bid my self short!
    Any input wold be greatly appreciated.

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge by the face foot.

3. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

Okay so your charging by the vertical face foot. Does that price fluctuate with diff. size blocks considering the face foot would be the same.
    For example what would you charge for the ff for the block i listed above?

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

A face foot is a square foot of the face of the wall. Your block is 8"x18" which just so happens to be a face foot.

Keep in mind that lower walls have the same amount of base preparation as taller walls and less face feet to recover the cost over. Face feet should be used to calculate an approximate price, but should be adjusted for any disproportionate base to height, or access, or any other factor which influences time or difficulty in getting the job done.

5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

IMO you can not charge by the block, sq ft, or linear foot. Every job has very specific different prep for the base, excavation behind the wall, geo grid , etc. Not to mention accessibility to the job site among many other factors that vary job to job. Each job should be quoted step by step with all the changing variables being considered very carefully. just my 2 cents

6. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys! So in other words i believe i'll just keep doing it the way i'm doing it now as far as just bidding by the job cond., man hours, size of job, etc. etc.