What do you Charge per sq ft for Sod?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by RossiLawns, Mar 17, 2013.

1. RossiLawns

RossiLawns LawnSite Member

I was quoting a Sod job the job is for 2800 sq. ft. it involved removing old turf wit a sod cutter, filling in holes ( a lot of holes customer has 2 huge dogs that dig), grading soil, adding 1 yard of screened top soil, starter fertilizer, and installing Tall Fescue Sod. I would like to know what you would charge per sq. ft. for the whole job? I live in South Jersey so I know prices will be vary on location. I will let ya know my price but I want to see what others say first. Thanks in advance if you reply.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

With out seeing the job in person I would say under 5k over 2,500

3. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

I am at roughly $150-200 per palled for placing and grading is dependent upon what needs to be done. Materials are cost plus 20% .

4. RossiLawns

I am currently just a few hundred dollars over $2500.00. Sent email to the customer, new customer, about 4 days ago and never got a reply. I don't feel like my price was high but with the amount of guys doing work under the table it is getting harder to win any decent jobs. That is why I am asking what other on the books companies are quoting.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Rossi $2563.45 if there is no automatic sprinklers there is no warranty :waving:

6. RossiLawns

Joe,
    Are you saying you would quote $2563.45? I have a hard time with the warranty. If they have irrigation system I warranty only if I set the watering times and I am permitted to check that the system is working for the first 3 months. People want to say on water and don't always do what we recommend and then they wonder why products died.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I warranty everything 1 yr with sprinklers or with out .
    I win jobs and Im never the cheapest. They like the year warranty.
    Sometimes I'll do a 2 year warranty as long I do all the lawn apps and cut the grass.
    Most people only give 90 day warranty. Some around here gives 30 days.

But my price would be closer to the 5 k mark.

8. RossiLawns

Thanks for the input Snyder's

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on what price your getting your sod for, some guys can get really cheap sod, like anything else there is quality sod and there is cheap sod, you choose which you want to use and price accordingly!