What do you charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JClawncare, Jan 9, 2007.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

I am just getting into landscaping one condo complex that I mow is wanting me to trim shrubs, mulch reseed, aerate and edge the beds. I have thought about charging $20.00 hr for mulching, seeding, aerating and charge $8.00 per shrub we trim. The edging I was just going to rent a bed edger then add the rental fee and the hours to edge in with the mulch. Any suggestions? or thoughts?

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

$20 is very cheap. You relize as a self employed person the goverment takes close to an extra 8% from you.

Plus what if you get hurt? You need enough money to by some insurance.

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

JC
    $20.00 an hr for mulching is very low. What about the material is your price per man. We are up in the $100.00 range per man hr. Do some careful reading in some of the threads before you commit. My two cents.

4. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing is I do all my estimating by time and material. Shrubs are all different sizes. One shrubs could 3 minutes to trim and one could take 30 seconds. So think of the whole job in terms of how long for the whole job not per shrub. And for mulch... we buy mulch at $17 cu. yd. here and charge $63 per yard in labor. If it was just labor I'd bid at $70 Hr. personally in my area that's the approx. rate. FYI be careful using a bed edger in a condo development. Cable companies don't always bury their lines to specs.

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Thats total approx 16% for social security, plus income tax!!

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I hope he knew about the other stuff.

I consider that it basically cost me $0.50 per $1.00 I pay. It is not that high but it is close enough to make the math simple and it is not too hard to explain to the employees. I have no problem telling them that I pay $0.50 on the Dollar in over head and taxes.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I would love to get that much but since we work year around we can charge 1/2 as much?

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

why work for so cheap when people will be willing to pay more?

We can get up to 80 an hour for mulch here. plus materials.

or charge per man hour + mat.

9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

We work year round in PA in mild seasons like this, but considering your expenses how can you make money at $20? Is gas really cheap by you or something? Overhead has to be covered on every job.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

If someone is charging that low. How can they afford to pay taxes, insurance, fuel, workers comp, equipment, labor, phones, paper for billing, and have money left over for profit?