1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by minerapex, Aug 30, 2004.

1. minerapex

minerapex LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have been edging and always charged hourly. By edging I mean creating a well defined edge with a walk behind edger and then taking a edging shovel and removing the grass and dirt. I got a call for an estimate and they want a cost per foot. How would I figure this out AND OR what do you charge?
    All input will help a lot. Thanks

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I know this has been discussed before but I can't remember what was said. Try a search..

I have had only one request in the last few years for an edging only service. The turf/soil was over the curb by 3-4 inches. Just looking at it.. I quoted $60 to edge, remove debris and blow off. It took me 30 minutes.

After I was done I measured it just to see what the linear foot breakdown was. It was 130' which equates to about $0.45/ft.

So.. based on my one time experience I think .50 - .75 per linear foot would be a decent figure.

Hope this helps.....

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure they didnt mean bed edging? If it is there is a big price difference

4. minerapex

yeah I'm talking about bed edging!

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You hear a lot of people say $1 per linear foot. If it is significant footage, I would definately rent a bedscaper or other bed edging machine. They are a Godsend!

6. minerapex

Just bringing this back to the top. I have to do the estimate tommorow. ANy more help?

Thanks

7. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I rented a bed edger for a job I did this past weekend. It cost me $36 for 3 hours. I edged approximately 300 Ft and charged $125. The whole job took me 45 minutes. I suppose mine was about $.40 per foot.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We charge 85 cents a linear foot for existing beds (redefining them) and $1.25 per foot for brand new.