What do you do about bees

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by extremerc76, Jul 31, 2006.

1. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a mowing job that i have been doing for a little more than a month, it's an easy job for the money, and customer gives no trouble paying bills, and he knows the value of extra work (hedge trimming, mulching, weed control, etc). however evry time i run the mower to cut his lawn i get attacked by yellow jackets, and if i run fast enough usually only get stung a few times. i have tried to find the hive but can't, so i told the customer that he has a bee problem and needs to have it taken care of before i can cut his lawn again. so he had some one come in who claims that they found the nest and has taken care of the problem, okay they didn't bother me for one time while i was mowing. then saturday i got stung again.
    any ideas about what to do with this job?

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i know it can be difficult, but try to watch where they go after they're done attacking you. now that you've found the hive/nest, kill it. gas works well, but also kills the grass. another person here told me that sevin dust works also, but my question was about bumble bees, don't know how it works on yellow jackets.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes repeated stings can result in becoming allergic to them --(and then you have to look for other work)
    I know for a fact that people have died in this business because of it--If there is a problem, drop the customer. Nothing is worth your health

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, PMlawn said it well drop the customer if you keep getting stung because it is not worthit.

Worked for a guy last year that went through the same thing only a little more severe. He was trimming at one of his regular properties and he happened to trim over an underground nest. WOOOWEEEEEE! Those suckers came out of the ground and nailed his ass all the way back to the truck! He ended up with 30 some stings and isnt allergic but had to go to the hospital for a shot of benedryl anyway just too much poison. He hauled so fast outta there that he dropped the trimmer next to the hive and didnt turn it off. Went back there to get it for him that night and it was still idling after 5 hours haha. Customer was dropped the next day.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Get you some Binoculars and sit down on the road and scan the ground to catch them zooming up out of the hole. They usually get really active in the afternoon.
    Just hope none of the neighbors accuse you of being a peeper:laugh:

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

No need to drop the client, pay attention to where they first attack, the mower excites them, so the nest is close. You should be able to see them going in and out. A wide 5 ft berth usually works, tell the homeowner, especially if they have children! Any local pest control can handle it.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Now dont laugh at this because it works...at least for me
    Apparently I produce more than the avg amount of C02 my doctor says after I ask him why if 3 of us are working and bees come after us, they ALWAYS come after me alone or me first. Its like I attract them. Each year I get stung the reaction gets worse and I'm swollen for a week.
    My motherinlaw knows how much I hate bee stings so she sends me something she found on the web. "Uses For Bounce Dryer Sheets"

Relative to bees, you take one dryer sheet and rub it on your arms and neck then loop the sheet thru your belt. Started doing this in '05 and while I've had bees come after me, I have not been stung in over a year and we've been around lots of bees when pruning. Here's an article on the many uses of Bounce sheets: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art13578.asp

8. Charles

Very interesting. Why does it work to ward off bee's? I will try anything.

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This sounds crazy, but my mother used to use this method when we went camping. It seemed to work from what I recall.

10. Charles

How long is one sheet good for? When does it lose its effectiveness?