1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ncnurseryman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, even if you could, doesn't seem very ethical to me.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This year a friend of mine bought a house to flip. It needed a lot of work and I was busy for 7 weeks.
  3. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

Deer Hunting only reason I mow is so I can hunt in winter time
  4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf removal. I hate it but it's more to keep my guys employed than anything else. Just cant really get the rates I need in our area to really make any decent profit. And the only dump site around the area doubled their dump fees at the beginning of last season. I passed a little of this price increase on to my customers, had to. But I guess it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

I deliver firewood too. There is a mill nearby that cut railroad ties and the process the sides into smaller slabs. Its all good hardwood so I buy and resell it to homeowners. Some people don't care whether its slabs or round. It all burns.
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

That stuff is not treated ?
  8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

may want to look into substitute teaching
    not alot of pay but marginally better than sitting around the house
  9. Green Clean

Green Clean LawnSite Member

At the moment finishing an accounting degree, and will likely do snow removal and taxes...
  10. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I don't know bout everyone else I stay pretty busy up until late January doin leaf cleanups then I move onto mulch and straw installs and various other type of work. A lot of my biweekly turn into weekly accounts come fall into early winter. Thankfully winter doesn't last to long here in birmingham.
    Posted via Mobile Device