What do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WANNAFARM2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid projects for next year.
    Review and analyze current/ previous year's performance.
    Review and analyze current/previous year's projects.
    Make plans to implement changes/improvements based on above reviews and analyses.
    Plan marketing strategy for the coming year.
    Thoroughly clean and service all equipment.
    Do projects for my woodworking/home improvement business.
    Network.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

do maintenance on equipment and enjoy the time off while you have it. winter is only 2 months where i live. it's gone before you know it and it's time to start up again.

3. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

A lot of repairs, hopefully work a few deals selling old mowers and such to make some extra cash, twiddle my thumbs, do some cost analysis, work on prospective clients for next year, twiddle my thumbs...

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

That must be the deluxe commercial grade gallbladder. The regular kind never comes with an hour meter.

It must of set you back a lot when it was new.

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, how much downtime do you actually have in your climate?

6. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Not much.

I'm still working. Tomorrow I'm checking out another leaf/clean-up job as well as meeting with another potential client who has 2 acres and is interested in doing a makeover for the front yard and needs to get the bamboo under control that lines the back of his property line (project for next year). First week in December we got an ice storm and the ground was covered for nearly two weeks so I should be busy right up until the New Year and then it should start picking back up in February with clean-ups and house washings. So, not much downtime.

7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

For those of you that have been impacted by this major ice storm that just blew thru. There will be a lot of tree removal and clean up jobs for the next few weeks!!!!!

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Year end accounting and tax stuff (all kinds of random office work…)
    Customer letters for Spring
    Odd n end jobs to finish up
    PLENTY of shop and equipment "to do" stuff (cleaning, maintenance, fuel stabilizer, organization, etc…)
    Snow plowing and salting
    Joining a gym this winter and sleeping in!!
    Enjoying some downtime after 9 straight months of completely busting ass. We deserve it.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got enough work to last me well into Feb. and by then March is just around the corner.

10. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

You could do lots of stuff! You could get a seasonal job, hang Christmas lights and Christmas decor), take classes and get license for other things like, irrigation, pest or herbicide, landscape. I don't do anything since I'm a college student and I live in Texas, I'm still able to pick up leaves, and just stopped mowing a couple weeks ago, but I do have a part time job and that keeps me busy along with school. Also odd jobs like painting and anything indoor is nice in the winter. Maybe you know someone that would like to hire you to do stuff around there house and yard. Me and a friend just did some work for a guy we go to church with and he paid us about $25 an hour each, for using my equipment and my friends truck to hang lights, pick up leaves, install 6 cu. Ft. Of mulch and move some furniture. Possibilities are endless, you can also think of some ideas for your company, daydream or make a wish list of an ideal setup. Thanks for reading if you did, sorry it's kind of long but I'm also pretty bored, lol.