What do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WANNAFARM2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

You guys must have some really crappy equipment or 150 mowers! Sheesh.

You could do all tune-up and repairs in what? 1 day? 2 days?

What do you do in the winter AFTER that? Like I said earlier.....as little as possible. Well, I snow plow. But nothing else.
  2. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

What I mean is that I do tune ups ETC even a typical winter I am still working
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I was just saying in general for the entire thread everyone is saying "repairs." How many repairs do people have to do? Certainly not more than a few days worth, I'd hope.

If you're in Cali or Florida I get you mow basically all year round.
  4. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

Yes I am in the Sacramento valley and on a typical winter we do get a substantial amount of rain. I may take a week out of the winter to fix or tune up things. The longest part is if I need to order parts and to wait. During our storms that we do get I am usually busy with trees. Other than that I am still running my weekly rout. Some customers may go to every other week, some go to once a month. But I am still running 5-6 days a week. This year the only thing that needed fixing was the weed eater. I had replaced everything else over fall. In Florida you get beautiful weather I am sure. But how does everything work out during Hurricanes?
  5. Doreen

Doreen LawnSite Member
    from york pa

Go on vacation
  6. ChaseHaze

ChaseHaze LawnSite Member

We do both commercial and residential Christmas lighting in the winter. It is NOT an easy business and it is not something that you end up selling to you small customer base. I have around 6,000 customers for pest & or lawn care and very few of my Christmas lighting customers ended up being my regular customers. The business model had to shift from internal marketing of current customers to mass marketing type and I lost money, big money, the first 2 years we did it. We have only the slimmest of competition but a lot people just aren't prepared to spend the money to have the service.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Best reply yet. I do snow relocation with blowers and I am ready to give it up in favor of a regular job November - February.

Who has had success with this...with a worth while job...?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

What do you use/do to get bamboo under control? I just had a client ask me about doing that at their house, and I can't think of a simple solution.
  9. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Cardiac Nurse and use the lawn and landscaping as a side business with employees during the busy months. I would think that the fall and winter would be a great time to take classes. Fall isn't too busy to interrupt the first part of a semester and classes end before mowing really kicks in. Every good business plan involves investment, and what better long term investment plan than classes for your current lawn and landscaping, or maybe something more stable for the part time grass cutters. :usflag:
  10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

tune up all equipment, do any deferred repairs, change out all filters/spark plugs on all handhelds.

after that's done, I do projects on my offshore boat and eat lots of food, snuggle up next to the fireplace, read books, etc...