What do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WANNAFARM2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

We get snow like once every 2 years or so. Although we also have more mowing time. Had a lady sign up the other day who wants mowing 52 weeks a year...those customers are few and far between though.
  2. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Take a winter vacation to the tropics and generally relax.
  3. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Oh. I work 12hrs a day for 3/4 of the year so the 3 months off averages an 8 hr day. :)
  4. ddlandscaping

ddlandscaping LawnSite Member
    Male, from poconos of pa

lots of snowplowing especially this past season
  5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

why don't you get your license and spray? year round work
  6. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

I am studying for my license now, can you give me an idea of the types of jobs/applications available, and how much money you might see for a typical application?
  7. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

I got one! It's pretty good money too! Get all your credentials to become an auctioneer. If you think you can do it, I've heard it's great money.

I just started my business and was trying to think of what to do, on top of going to school, I'm aiming to get my irrigation license and herb/pest. License. I'm also going to go ahead and try to become an auctioneer because why not. I feel like it would be pretty much perfect, since auctions are typically on weekends.

Also you could fix your equipment and organize everything. Work on home projects, probably will get some people wanting some stuff done at their house. Get a job, although I wouldn't unless you absolutely needed one because for me I don't like working for next to nothing. Things to help your business like advertising, marketing, networking, etc...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

Very good idea, and something I have been looking into over the past few weeks. Think I'll make that my winter homework for this year!
  9. Not quite. We have a 6-8 month long summer depending on the year and it is hot and humid. Yes there are other parts of the country(TX,AZ) that are hotter but once fall/winter hits, its fall/winter. We typically don't get nice weather(consistently below 80's) until December and this winter was like summer almost. We get lots of rainfall from mid-May till October. People look at Florida in the winter from around the country and think we have it made(which we do in the winter), but they don't realize that our summer is about half the year.

A winter schedule for my biz is mowing EOW, cleaning up leaves, installing annuals/plants, mulch, etc. Summer time we do lots of palm trimming and tree trimming, hard cutbacks on stuff like bougie, hibiscus, smaller ornamental trees, shrubs, etc. and mowing weekly with some plant installs.

I have some very wealthy clients that on those houses you basically have to mow weekly, trim formal hedges as needed, and clean up leaves in the summer. You get to take it easier cause you do the hard cutbacks when they leave and don't have to nitpick those plants until they return for winter.
  10. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Got that right I will hibernate a little then work on everything around the house that needs caught up I can't get to in mowing season