What do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WANNAFARM2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm writing some children's books which I hope to have published. I also worked all last winter on wooden planters and window boxes which I plan to work on more next winter and sell them at the farmers market during the warmer months. I also have an idea of making beautiful wooden cremation urns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

You must be pretty creative. I couldn't ever do any of those things. I live in texas and recently heard about wrapping certain plants in those real expensive landscapes for the winter. I don't feel like that's really needed here but if it is then I'll be doing that for sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JLC Lawn Care

JLC Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This winter I am looking around for my first shop (to rent). Hopefully moving in this coming February. Should keep me plenty busy.

4. VacaValley Landscaping

VacaValley Landscaping LawnSite Member

Very simple answer to this one my friends, move to California... Biggest droubt in history. Haven't had a drip of rain since early November! Can keep busy all year long!

5. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I'm missing the joke here.

6. VacaValley Landscaping

Maybe should have described better, apologies! Lawns may not be growing, but its definetly a time to pick up on new installation work. I've noticed along with the droubt, and now California fining people for using a certain amount of water, alot more people have been asking for changes to the properties. Removing grass, going with waterless landscapes. May not be super consistant but keeps some cash flow coming in.

7. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

oh ok! Thanks for explaining :waving:

8. VacaValley Landscaping

Sorry about that jeeperscrow, been a long long day. 96F degrees at 10am is never fun either! Good luck!

9. HaluchsLandscapes

HaluchsLandscapes LawnSite Member

My boyfriend is also a landscaper...... we watch the forecast and if there is no snow storms coming we head for the mountains and ride our snow mobiles as often as we can! :)

I still work in the office though part time during the winter months.

10. wes92395

wes92395 LawnSite Member

Winter used to be worse than summer for me. When I was still in high school id get up at 2AM plow snow, go to school till 11AM (work release), then I had stupid little job at tractor supply for the winter that was 12pm - 9pm five days a week.... Now that I'm not in school and for the first time I financially don't need any little job throughout the winter it should be a lot easier and I'm looking forward to it. I actually really like snow plowing, I think I put more effort into growing it than I do mowing... I've been debating buying another bike and getting back into motocross for the winter by riding indoors.
    Posted via Mobile Device