What do you do during the winter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WANNAFARM2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

You guys with snow plowing for winter are very fortunate!!! We have nothing in winter to do in Georgia!

2. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Yeah but you have peaches..

3. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im east of Atlanta I make more money in the winter then summer with lawn care. pre emergents and lime is cheap. start spraying yards

4. wes92395

wes92395 LawnSite Member

Don't wish it on yourself... Snow plowing comes with its own set of issues just like anything else. If it wasn't for plowing I'd be driving rangers and small open trailers around for mowing instead of full size trucks.

5. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

deer hunt in the stand every day from oct to xmas

6. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

Plow, snowblow, shovel, and salt. I could easily pick up over 100k in plowing this winter if I wanted to. But winter is no joke especially if we get a winter like last year. So i'll probably be settling for around 50k in snow removal just to stay afloat until spring hits again. I know of a company here locally who is trying to go big in winter, and hibernate in summer. Basically the opposite of what a lot of others do. They have an unbelievable amount of snow removal equipment. They look geared up enough to do 500k in snow removal.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

your winters aren't very long, you have plenty of work during the season to save up for the short break from the work season.

Our landscaping season is 40% of the year, 50% is winter with 10% being WTF do i do season?

8. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

How far east? I may do the same, but don't want to step on another guys toes.

9. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

you're not gonna step on my toes. ill be happy to help out any way i can. I'm in covington. but you are gonna have to open your wallet to get started

10. OldSalt

OldSalt LawnSite Member

Everyone,
    I found this forum by accident and so far have put to use information I found her about getting different blades for my Toro TimeMaster mower. I live in North Florida, have only been in business for 2 months, and am already looking ahead to what to do between November and February/March next year. Our growing seasons goes a few months longer than some of your, but still does not generate the same income as it does during growing season.
    Put 29 years in the Navy and this is my first endeavour as a business owner since getting off the Active Duty payroll list and onto the Retired/Disabled payroll list.
    Any of you from Florida, or the Southeast in general, willing to share some of your off-season money making ideas with me?
    Appreciate anything legal, moral, and ethical that I can do while waiting for the season to start back up next Spring.

Thanks in Advance -- Bill