what do you do for a living or on the sides?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Hi all i am fourteen and new to this forum and i see a little bit of everything in the pics so i figured i would ask what do u do the most? like backfilling pools digging footers? stuff like that?

my dad and i backfill pools and run the electric service to them and we have averaged three per month this year since feburary.......
  2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

For a living I do anything to pay the bills. All types of excavating or playing in the dirt.

For my hobbies, camping, riding the Harley, hunting, fishing, riding the ATV's, hanging out with my wife and daughter at friends and families houses. Anything to get my mind off of work usually hits the spot. A good old cold one seems to do that trick pretty well.
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Work comes first, check out my vids thread for some samples, then beating the snot out of my Radio Controlled vehicles if I'm not complaining about paying $70 bucks a gallon for NitroMethane Fuel.......................[​IMG]
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I work 6-7 days a week for 6-9 months and then winter comes and I sleep for 3 months. Then, when I thaw out........I get up and do it again....
    I am lucky, my work is my play......they are no different. I have two hobbies or passions......I start colts and work with troubled horses and for me it is a place I can go where time dissapears. My other hobby is trading the markets.....it is not really a hobby, it is another full-time business that pays the bills, on average, better than working my excavator........
  5. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a full time 8th grade math teacher. I own a skid and a rubber tracked machine and do snow removal in the winter and fill my summer with as much landscaping as I can. In my past life I sold Bobcats for just over 8 years.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Born and raised workaholic here. Started in lawn maintenance, moved into landscaping in high school, got to run a lot of compact equipment in that venture. Did a fair amount of residential excavation (basements, footings, utilities, retaining walls, etc..) Now I'm a union operator, I run it all. Keep at it but remember to have some fun. I've had some hard times letting go of work, it's really tough to not make work a 24 hour a day job. My recently acquired lady friend is helping me let go of work a little easier, but I'm still attatched to my job.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work in the dirt but I don't anymore. I work for the gov't it is steady 365 day work with guaranteed paycheck. Not much work for a equipment operator right now.

I worked hard when I was in my 20s and now I'am paying for it with a bad back and knees. I have to watch what I lift etc.
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

bobcat ron you have a nitro powered truck?

I do to but i keep breakn dog bones and axles so i aint had it out in forever but arent they fun?
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

2 trucks, 1 buggy, 1 mini truck and 2 snow cats, it ain't the breaking parts that bother me, it's the 2 gallons per weekend that bugged the hell out of me, at $70 bucks (with tax) per gallon, I kinda took a break.
  10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Hmmm. I do only a little bit of dirt work, a lot of grinding brush piles, some brush mowing, and some chipping of big trees. I do some driveways now and again. I just try to improve and clean up property so I try to stay away from excavation which makes a mess here in the rocky hill country. More fun to chop up the brush and cover the rock and caliche..
    I'd like to do more clean up but as a one man operation, there is only so much time and energy to devote to the projects. I have to pick and choose accordingly.