What do you do if your costomer gives your job away

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, May 1, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

I have one of my customers give my job away to another company and i can't figure it out i am a local and i charge $25 and the other company is charging $20 but my quality of my work is better.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

everybody wants to save a buck or two. If your quality of work was better but they went with the lower price and poor quality, then that is a customer that I would be happy to have given away or lost to another LCO.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Customer relationships. You can do the best work in the world and still lose the job. It goes back to customer relationships. You probably should analyze how you handled this customer or how often you had contact with them previously. Then again, some people will drop over a buck.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most people just want the grass cut and don't care what it looks like. The 2 top complaints I hear when I take over an account are:

The previous LCO would not bill regularly.

The previous LCO wouldn't cut the grass regularly.

Appearence is never mentioned as a reason for changing LCOs.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Blaster882, Do not get me wrong I am not knocking you, I've been in your shoes, but I'm alittle bit surprised no one has commented on your equipment inventory being homeowner equipment. Like I said I've been there done that and it is very possible to do a great job with homeowner equipment. Not as effecient but very possible. If you have been on here long enough to have seen some of EnvyLawnService's pics he has a Murray lawn tractor and he gets good results from it. Drop that Homelite ASAP!!!! lol

6. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

Drop the Homelite?
    and what's wrong with a Homelite?:D I have one I've had for over 7 years now and I still count on it every now and then.It's a curved shaft, but hey when I need it it's come through for me.I've had as many as 30 yards a week using this thing......still going.I use mostly stright shaft now,so I can reach under the bushes and make it look better:D But you know every body has a preference,I'm using a stright shaft craftsman I've had for a while,it quit running and I went back to "old faithful" and then I read a article in PRO magazine about cleaning the muffler ports.I did that and lo and behold the craftsman lives again lol.
    Y'all have a busy day now ya hear?
    Conoverbandit

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

PLLLEASE! :rolleyes:

You can certainly start in this business with homeowner type equipment. It may wear out faster than commercial equipment, but you can do quality work with homeowner equipment.

Blaster, just smile and go on. Don't let it get you down. If this customer is willing to trade reliability and quality for $5 so be it. Find a wealthier neighborhood and get in there and sell your quality.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Blaster - Wow, you've been in business since you were 11? That's starting pretty early!

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Darryl;I had a plastic lawn mower when I was 3.Can that count ? If so I've been in business about 33 years!

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I love my bubble mower....ever seen those, they're great!