What do you do if you're broke down for the day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IA_James, Jun 9, 2007.

1. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Ran into this the day before yesterday, blade drive belt broke on my Scag. Couldn't get the belt 'til the next day. Oil didn't need changed, blades were ok. Could have cleaned up the west side of the house (shrubs and vines) but it was too hot. So I just sat there and drank beer while I filled my head full of Lawnsite.com goodness. What do you all do?

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

get the part or get a loaner. Mow mow mow no time to sit and piss away a day. Not to mention what to do with an employee.

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I always keep spare belts.

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Well, my only employee is me. And I was done anyway after I finished the lawn I was at with my Lawn Boy. So, if you break down, and it don't matter, and you can't get the part 'til the next day, what do ya do?

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

back up mower and keep spare belts in case . i have my trusty toro 32 tbar as a backup (actually i have 2)

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's rare for me, I learned to carry spare belts in the truck box, most little stuff slows me down but I fix it right then and there. I learned to always carry spares of the stupid stuff that breaks most often, and a pretty complete set of tools, too.

Once, maybe twice a year something does crap out on me to where I can not fix it. If it's a grass-cutting related machine, I run home and grab the spare, yet another valuable lesson learned over the years.

The worst is the push blower, I only have one of those.
    I suppose you could rent a machine for the day (yes they rent Wb's) but between all the time you'll put into that rigmarole, by then you're as well off having fixed your own, I find myself too short on time when renting, then there's no time left for repairing what's broken.

Not a whole lot you can do, but wait.
    At least it's only a couple of days.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Where in Iowa? Just had a Toro Z go down, wheel motor and one pump. 570hrs, 1 year old. My dealer tells me that at the earliest Wed. b/c he needs to order those parts and then tells me that maybe the mower has been handled roughly and maybe we do alot of turning on the concrete to break this. I tell him - warrent the thing - do whatever after spending 100K in the last 4 years with this guy I don;t have time for him to tell me that were rough on equipment. I have 4 z's - I can get by for a day or two but I may to be renting come wed. I will then have to get a kubota or deere cuz my toro dealer has nothing on hand for us to use as a backup.

That was my Friday nite and sat morning fun!

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what was wrong with the 5 back up mowers? arent you a business? business have all the equipment needed to keep operating reguardless what happens. that means extra parts, mowers, trucks, trailers, trimmers, blowers, etc. you need to have at least three of everything otherwise customers are going to loose faith in you and sign up with a corporate giant.

this is the exact reason why we run so many people out of biz each year. its nothing we do. the ignorant lawnboys go out and commit biz suicide by not being prepared. you want your customers to know a $10 part put you out of business?

sounds like you need to go out and spend a $100k getting set up properly.

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually take the belt to napa and get a replacement if the mower shop doesnt have it

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it happens to solo guys..... like almost everyone else I try to always keep spares. I even have a spare set of blades for everything.....
    Redundancy,,,,Redundancy,,,,,Redundancy,,,,,

comming from the computer field this was drilled into my head.

If your servers are down for 24 hrs your outta business in 2 yeras.
    if there down for 48 hrs, your outta business that year..

Brianslawn said it rather cruely but he's right