1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the fall and winter to generate income?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Titans Fan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Just looking for some cash flow ideas for the fall and winter!
    I have thought about starting a parking lot cleaning service. Does anyone on here do that?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

While alot will be suckin up leaves or pushing snow ...we'll be cutting grass
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i would think the overhead to start a street sweeping service would be rather high, plus you would have to figure out how to run it year round.
    personally, i concentrate on limited hardscaping, pressure washing, and dead tree removal type stuff in the off season, as well as building flowerbeds and all the other stuff i don't have time to do during the mowing season.
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

The fall and winter are for deer hunting.
    The lady at the bank asked me one day, when I was making a hefty deposit, "Why do you do in the wintertime?"
    I told her, "I make withdrawals."
  5. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

Come up with another brilliant business my man. Christmas decor, X-mas tree delivery, collection service for other LCOs. I bet your town could probably support another nightclub especially with LIVE! NUDE! GIRLS! Use your imagination and make some winter green.
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i like your thinking!
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

good one :laugh:

for us, it's leaves and then right into snow plowing pretty much
  8. Pave_A_Lot

Pave_A_Lot LawnSite Member

In my off season to Generate income i have two rental properties and i buy and sell real estate though out the year. also do a little stump grinding before Paving season starts, in my spare time and winter months

Also looking to expand into lawn mowing, and Excavating (Basements & septics) to make more income during summer
  9. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Does no one else use contracts, so you make the same in the off season??
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We do snow and ice management. Occasionally some plow and truck repairs for other services, but mostly just take care of our own stuff.