1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the winter?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Schooldaddy, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Schooldaddy

Schooldaddy LawnSite Member

I have one major concern about getting into the business; how to survive during the winter. From what I've read, most people on this site do their last cut in November and then start back up in March. What do you do to make a living during the winter? I live on the Gulf Coast, so, obviously, we can't plow snow. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I try to get as many customers as I can to pay me once a month, same amount, all year. So.....$30.00 yard, cut 36 times/year. $30.00 x 36cuts, = $1080.00. $1080.00 divided by 12 months is $90.00/month. So, in the winter, I sit back, work my 12 -15, sometimes 20 hours a week, and watch the money keep coming in.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

And sleep............
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Participate in ice oval snowmobile racing, cant wait.:)
  5. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

leaf clean-up and removal
  6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We work year round in Phoenix:cool:

7. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

One of my commercial accounts gives us extra work in the winter..................carpentry, painting, and other assorted odd jobs............

When I'm not doin that I'm ..................Travelin'
  8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I decided to finally get out of plowing last year after 7 years of waiting around for snow to fall and servicing 70 accounts by myself. I was lucky to have a fellow LCO who drove for an oil company delivering oil. So they helped me get my CDL license and now I drive for them from Dec 1st through April 1st. It's a win win situation for all. They need seasonal drivers when their season gets busy and they don't have to pay benefits either. i get great pay for my slow season. Don't know if there is somethiing like that down there for you seeing the climate.

9. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

We try to work year round with the landscaping and patios. But we save a certain amount of money from each job so that we have a cushion to help us coast through the down times.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct