What do you do when a client won't listen to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOOSE, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have this client that waters nonstop and has a hill in there backyard. They want me to mow first thing friday morning and in the spring it was fine then about mid June the sprinklers were on in the morning before we arrived. So I asked them not to water on Friday's. Nothing happened, so I skipped the lawn one day and they called and I explained with the hill in back plus the very wet spots in front the water needs to be off on Friday's. So the next week the water is off, then the following week it's back on. Then the next week it's off for about 3 weeks. Then I pull up 2 weeks ago and it's on. He's pulling out of the drive and I just drive off. She calls and asks why we didnt mow. I told her that if she wanted us to mow then the water has to be off and the sprinkler clock can be programmed for this. So she says she's been telling hubby to make sure there off. I then told here that if there on one more time she has to find someone else to mow her yard. Well last friday they were on and I just kept driving. I had a break for lunch and called and left a message. I said, Mrs. ????, since you can not respect my wishes it is time I moved on and you found someone else. So everyday since last friday she's been calling. You can't quit us this late in the season, were having company this weekend, please call me. Today she calls and literally cries while leaving a message.

Am I wrong for doing what I have. How would you handle it.

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Heck no, you are not wrong with the way you handled it. You repeatedly told them that the system had to be off. Do customers listen, hardly. :realmad: If he won't adjust the watering times, then she should have turned it off on Thursday nights.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

sounds to me like he's not using the timer, just trying to water when he feels it's necessary. Poor woman is suffering because of him............but I'm about to say bye bye to a similar situation, we're not going to cut spring like growth all year long..........he was watering every other day and couldn't understand why his crapsman mower wouldn't cut it..........

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

lets just say that my frustrations with a customer can be bought payup

5. AtlYardWorks

AtlYardWorks LawnSite Member

I think you were pretty fair and lasted longer than I would have with that non-sense. You're supposed to be dealing w/ an adult, not a 5 y/o.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I would have mowed down all his sprinkler heads the first time it happened. Give him an interest in having it off from that point forward instead of her desire for cosmetics. Too late for that on this particular customer now, so do as you did, walk away and don't look back. Next time, run them over and show the same inconsiderate behavior that they did by leaving them on, the golden rule works as the green rule too.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like Hubby can't figure out the clock. Offer to her that for 5 dollars more per month you and only you will control the sprinkler system. that way you just set it up once, check it every week and adjust when rain hits.
    simple condition of returning, I bet she would agree.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually prefer to control the system, that way I can adjust times for wet or dry areas, The proper time to water, instead of in the middle of the night like so many think it should be. 25 bucks a month for irrigation inspection check it ever week to be sure all heads pop up, turn & timer set properly.
    replacement parts & labor additional per hour

9. lawn gonzo

lawn gonzo LawnSite Member
    from texas

GAWD, stuff like this from customers drives me NUTS, and brings out the LAWN NAZI in me, "NO CUT FOR YOU!!!!!" I will drop them at the first opportunity, depending on my mood. Why does it seem so difficult for them to grasp, are they just inconsiderate or just plain dumb, I can't figure it out.

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our customers are very good about setting the sprinklers reasonably
    but we just lost an account because they refused to water properly. I won't try to cut a pasture or a swamp.