What do you do when your sick or need a couple days off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

How do you handle your clients when you can't make it? :cry:

2. Full throttle lawn care

I've been sick sense Thursday but only have a few clients that will be easy to make up. What do you guys do when your booked solid? Do you tell them you can't make it this week?

3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

you always make it unless u cant move... but i have a partner and one worker so they just cover my end for a week and work longer hours but i give my salary for the week to them or if i find another worker pay them to work a week..

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked thru broken bones, high fevers, chills, phnemonia. However, knock on some very good wood, I have been on a streak for the last 15 yrs and hope things continue. Here's to a good season all.

5. Full throttle lawn care

I have a stomach virus. I soiled my shorts twice last night:clapping: I feel much better today but it's been a rough few days.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Sick day, whats a sick day? If your not so sick that you can still come on here and ask about it, your good enough to go out and get some work done. Cant make it for a whole week :hammerhead: Hmmm... time to find a new job with a fixed schedule and wage.

Suck it up or hire help if you your worried about losing customers.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If you are really sick take the day off. Make up for it on another day (longer days, weekend). We try not to take off unless we really have too.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You work hard, eat well, sleep good, don't catch pneumonia or heat-stroke but do work when it's below 94 degrees and don't be afraid to go shirt-less while working up a sweat in 40-degree weather and you should be one tough, rugged individual that doesn't get sick.

Far as days off, I need one, I take one.
    But I can't do that just anytime, some thought or planning may be required.
    If you can afford to do it, that is.

Translation: If your prices are high enough, you have leisure time. :laugh: <- don't go too high !

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

In this type of work there are no sick days unless you have employees working for you.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Schedule your sick days on the days when it is pouring rain outside.