What do you do when...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, May 29, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do when you go to mow a property and a gate is shut and locked? Mind you this, you are on your scheduled day.

This happened to me on friday. The owner called me today (sunday) and told me that his gate is unlocked now and I can come mow his back yard. I kindly told him i was there on friday and it was locked so he missed his chance. He then didn't want to pay me the full amount. I told him tough nuts, not my fault. (in kinder words)

How do you handle this??

2. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I make sure that it is clear with the customer when they sign up for service that the gates, dogs, and anything else that would prevent a complete service from being performed is taken care of because it is the owners responsibility. I explain that I will do what is reasonable but beyond that they are responsible and that they will be charged for the visit...full amount.

If they knew ahead of time then you did the right thing.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Get a key to the gate............ :D

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about all you can say. Its not your fault hes a little slow on the draw.

5. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

provide him with a combination lock
    that way both of you can unlock the gate and you don't have to a bunch of keys

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Landscaper I know has a new system for that he has bolt cutters and cuts the lock right off they get the point rather quickly.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing with us.. Remember to bring the dogs in, unlock the gate.. We show up on the same say every week unless we call you.. Remember your part of the contract, and we will follow ours..

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My contracts state basically if the gates locked or blocked. They will pay in full and then 50% again when we come back to finish. payup Not my damn problem if the gates locked.

I like the bolt cutter idea. But that would get expensive around here with some customers.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd handle it just like you did, its not your fault.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought so too but he has it in his contract that he does not pay for any lock that is cut to service a lawn. They are told up front have a key where they can find it or buy a new lock each week.