1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do with a big crooked in ground tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Popper357, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Customer has a Olive tree (I believe) which was damaged badly in our 01' ice storm. The tree roots on one side were ripped out of the ground, while the other sides remained. So the tree sits crooked in the ground and isn't doing so well and isn't apealing. I have a pic

Customer wants to save the tree or propagate is for sentimental reasons (was a planting of her son twenty years ago). I can either fix, propagate or cut this tree down in theory. Which one's possible (besides just tree removal)? If it can't be saved it can't be saved.
    And what's wrong with this rose bush? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/popper357/GaryandBabeon7-6-05020.jpg
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if she doesnt care about it too much I would just cut it down, but if she would like to see the tree continue on you can try cabling it. Take a cable or rachet strap tie it to the tree and the fence or a stake in the ground and tighten it pulling the tree back, week by week you can tighten it little by little and eventually you should be able to prop it right up. Someone with better tree experience then me might be of more help but thats my suggest.

3. Popper357

Now that's a great idea, homeowner may be interested and I can make some money.
  4. Popper357

I wonder how long it would take to become strong enough to get off the strap and survive storms and winds? That would be key to the efort.
  5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

that is one ugly tree!!

i would cut it down
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

as far as the rose goes I don't see anything wrong with it,it's a climber and should be properly pruned and the lawn and groundcover are eating it's food so get that away from it.Other than that it looks healthy to me.
    The tree is a gonner.
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my clients had that happen to a tree. We did the ratchet strap game. Took quite a while but it is in good condition now. We've had some pretty big storms and it's still straight as an arrow!
  8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

There is always a risk of losing the tree if you do this but I would dig a huge hole around it and stand it back up properly. Ratchet Straps will never get the whole tree to grow straight again. You have to dig it up and stand the tree back correctly. Not a small job but in the long run you and the owner will be happy you did it.
  9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i would spade it and then stake it
  10. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

Personally I would cut the tree down but if you have to I would dig the tree like stated by lawn sharks. WOrse case is that it dies and then you get to cut it down. :) As for the rose; my guess is that it might be too shaded. I see a few trees in the picture and unless I am mistaken roses prefer full sun.