What do you do with bent blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Jun 13, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I am in my garage and having a hard time with a bent blade. Is there an easier way than pounding it like heating it then pounding or will this make it to weak and dangerous. What do you do?

2. throw it away.

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Bdemir, the only safe thing to do with a bent blade is discard it. You'll take the temper out if you try to heat it. It's not worth the hassle. Lynn

4. Alan

Alan Member

With the cost of blades, I straighten mine. BUT, I have a very serious block of steel to clamp them to, with the bent end suported on a piece of 1" hardwood. Put enough pressure on the clamp to bend them in reverse, then smote hell out of them with a 6 lb hammer. Not easy, but it works and I've never had one break afterwards. If you heat them you will likely have a very soft piece of scrap afterwards.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Alan, what kind of blades are costing so much? I guess I am just wasting money, because the minute a blade becomes questionable...it's trashed.

6. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

Buy new ones<p>----------<br>&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/procut/index/sign.jpg&quot;&gt;<br>&lt;A HREF=&quot;mailto:procutlawn@hotmail.com&quot;&gt;Email&lt;/A&gt;

7. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In my opinion the only good use for bent blades is to put them on when you trade your mower in at the dealer:)<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

8. I give them to Carl from the movie Slingblade.<p>He knows what to do with a sharp lawn mower blade.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

ummm-huhhhhhh

10. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Auction them on ebay.