What do you do with dodo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, May 2, 2005.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Cut one of my client's yards tonight for the first time this spring. I swear they haven't picked up after Rover since last November...dog crap everywhere. Do you guys charge a surcharge? Pick it up? or do what I did and just mow over it. Wasn't too bad tonight as most of it was pretty dry and it hasn't been real hot...thinking it could be a problem latter on once it warms up, gets stinky and a little slippery. Last it wasn't a problem...maybe I'll give 'em a week and it'll be cleaned up next time. I grateful I don't have a dog!!!

2. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

I charge extra to pick it up. I can't stand the smell of crap on the bottom of my shoes. Especially after you forget its on your shoes and you get in your truck.

3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i hate that s*** all over my mower tires.

I guess customers feel that if they aren't the ones mowing, who cares.

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few props like that....I just run over it and keep on truckin

5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Yeah, plus I notice how the grass where the dog crap is, the grass is much higher and greener! So I raise my cut and go. I try to avoid the landmines when walking, but my mower usually cleans itself off after a few rows.

6. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

I use a rider and mow around it and or coarse I don't weedeat around it !
    I keep my stripes straight after going around the pile . It looks funny until they get the message!! After that , I ask if they will get up the mess or I will have to charge a special clean up fee.
    All jokes aside, settle the matter and go to the owner about the problem the first or second mowing. (that is probably the most professional way to handle the matter)

Mike

7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Like was previously mentioned I will mow around them and they usually get the hint. I have a 3 strike policy that works. I do the previously mentioned and notify them of the problems the first two times, if I come again and its there I take the shovel and make a pile by the nearest sidewalk that's visible. :realmad: I have done this numerous times and it seems to work great. The following weeks are usually picked up. If by chance they aren't repeat step 3. Good Luck

8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

flush it down the pooper :)

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Ahhhhh...the smell of freshly cut Dog Doo in the morning....

10. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

I make it VERY clear to the homeowner they are being charged 5-10 extra to mow a dirty lawn. I've never been turned down, they don't want to pick it up. I just tell them that the extra price is for power washing the mower after doing thier lawn. Final note, charge by the size and number of dogs, one Wiener dog isn't going to make as much of a mess as 3 St. Bernards.